Copper question

I have a copper set up that I'm thinking of using. It has 300' of 45#. My question is this ... I have a small boat and only run two trolling rods. The information that I've read states that its best to run the copper with a board on the braid backing to move it away from the boat. Is It necessary to run a board? The other rod would be a magnum dipsey with a 2 setting. I also have a Michigan dive bomb 4 oz that apparently will give it an extra 27' of depth. I also wonder if I should run spoons only or If a spin doctor with fly is good for this set up. Any information would be helpful as I'm fairly new to Lake Ontario fishing

If you are only running one, you can forego the board and run it straight behind the boat. It may get in the way at times though. If you run a board I prefer to run a mono backer as the boards seem to hold better. You can run spoons, plugs or paddles. The way the fish are now, paddles are the way.

Welcome to the site Lynette!!!

No problem other than as Dan said with it getting in the road some times since it would not be out away from the boat very far. Since you're in Michigan you could also run a 3rd rod if you wanted to, but one of the three would be a lot better to be on a board out away from the others.

The info I was given by one of Stinger's pro anglers was 3 to 4' per ounce on a Dive Bomb. So, as for your 4 ounce Dive Bomb, it is going to get you maybe 16' of additional depth at the most. Weighted line presentations (leadcore and copper) with or without additional weights are also VERY speed dependent. At 2.5 mph a 300 copper is going to be a 60 to 70' presentation. At 2.0 mph it will go another 20' deeper. I mainly use them on leadcore but they can be used on copper too. Putting them directly on the weighted line about 1/3 of the way up from the leader will get you the max depth increase (per the Stinger pro). Has worked fine for me.

Thank you for the replies! It may be a silly question but what exactly is a paddle? ... And I'm actually in Ontario fishing Western Lake Ontario. If I like working with the copper ill consider swapping out the braid backer for mono and invest in a board :)

Thank you for the replies! It may be a silly question but what exactly is a paddle? ... And I'm actually in Ontario fishing Western Lake Ontario. If I like working with the copper ill consider swapping out the braid backer for mono and invest in a board :)

You don't have to swap out the backing, just splice in a 10' piece of 40# mono between the braid and the copper to hook your board to.

You don't have to swap out the backing, just splice in a 10' piece of 40# mono between the braid and the copper to hook your board to.

Works fantastic, its and easy way to get a little piece to clip a board to and also gives a small amount of stretch until you get the copper line on the reel.

If you are fishing lake Ontario keep your braid backing. If u change to mono u will not be able to get enough line on for the larger salmon that are in LO. having a board will separate your lines better but if you are only running 2 rods you should be ok. Torpedo divers has a chart on their website and they advise u to attach the torpedo where the copper and backing connect together and the chart tells u hoh much backing you need to let out to get to a certain depth. This will get u deeper than attaching it to the 1st 1/3 of your copper. This is another good reason to use a braid backing.

Welcome to the site Lynette. You can put spinnies on copper, but you will loose some depth. When the fish are deep in August, I like to run plugs on copper. The plug will help to get you some depth.

Welcome to the site Lynette. You can put spinnies on copper, but you will loose some depth. When the fish are deep in August, I like to run plugs on copper. The plug will help to get you some depth.

Yup. August+copper+plugs=big fish!

And welcome to the site.

Chris