It's official.. The Michigan Salmon Spectacular derby is GOING FORWARD for 2013

SeaCatMich

After lots of debate and a very inopportune week in the hospital, every thing has worked out and I am very happy to be able to announce that the Michigan side of Lake Michigan will have a major derby for 2013!

The Michigan Salmon Spectacular derby is going forward for 2013.

d71988_4493f6e448d6e229e5bb6d8efff20cb8.jpg_srz_320_143_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

The first year we have pretty good prizes but are keeping things pretty simple. The goal is to make this a big deal for Michigan that everyone can look forward to as an annual event and have a lot of fun. If Wisconsin and Lake Ontario can have big derbies for 20+ years... so can Michigan!

Here is a quick summary of the details:

Full Info: www.michigansalmonspectacular.com or www.salmonspectacular.com

When: August 24 through September 2 (Labor Day)

Where: Michigan waters of Lake Michigan from New Buffalo to Traverse City

Cost:

• Early Bird Discounts: For the next 2 weeks (through August 15) online derby tickets are discounted on the website.
  • Weigh Stations will have tickets for sale by the end of next week (8/9/13)
  • Adult Full Derby Ticket: $30 => $25
  • Youth (12-17) Full Derby Ticket: $15 => $12
  • Individual Single Day Ticket: $15 => $12
  • Private Boat Full Tickete (anyone fishing on the registered boat can enter a fish): $150 => $125
  • Charter Boat Full Derby Ticket (same as Private Boat ticket, but for Charter Boats): $200

Prizes:

• Over $33,000 in prizes total
  • 1st: $5,000; 2nd: $2,500; 3rd: $1,500; 4th: $1250; 5th: $1,000... down to 100th at $50 (details on the web page or the downloadable flyer below)
  • $100 per port payout for largest fish weighed each day
  • $100 for largest fish entered per day across all ports

Ports/Port Groups & Weigh Stations:

• New Buffalo - St. Joe - Benton Harbor: Broadlow's Fishin Hole
  • South Haven: Pyles Port Hole
  • Saugatuck - Holland - Port Sheldon: Lakeshore Tackle Outfitters & Gold Coast Outfitters
  • Grand Haven: Fish On Bait & Tackle
  • Muskegon - Whiltehall/Montague: Shoreline Service & Tackle and Johnson's Great Outdoors
  • Pentwater - Ludington: Capt. Chucks
  • Manistee - Onekama: Tangled Tackle
  • Arcadia - Frankfort - Leland - Traverse City & north: Frankfort Tackle Box and TC MC Sports Outdoor Center

Click for downloadable flyer: Derby Flyer PDF

Is there a ticket that I can buy for the whole time? or do I have to buy it by day?

What is the difference between:

Adult full and daily ticket

Adult Full Derby is the ticket for one person to fish any/all days in the derby.

The Daily Individual ticket is intended for someone who is going for only one day. Maybe guys going on a charter or going to go with a friend... but for only one day.

This page on the website should explain it all: http://www.michigansalmonspectacular.com/#!ticketinfo/cipy

looks like the adult full is the full derby ticket, or you can go by the day.

I think the whole boat ticket is pretty cool, charter for 200...seems like a little low

I agree that $200 is low for the Charter Boat Ticket, but since we didn't/don't have a lot of marketing time to get it in front of the Captains, it was decided to try to make it an offer they can't refuse. :) Next year when they can plan on being a part of the derby it should let the Charters market it to their customers as a feature of going with them over another boat.

Personally, if I had a Charter Operation... I'd jump on it!

• 2 weeks later...

Michigan Salmon Spectacular Derby Tickets are now available for purchase at all of the Derby Weigh Stations! They can also still be purchased online at the website.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MichiganSalmonSpectacular

Weigh Station (port)

Broadlow's Fishin Hole (St. Joseph)

Pyle's Port Hole (South Haven)

Lakeshore Tackle Outfitters (Saugatuck)

Gold Coast Outfitters (Port Sheldon)

Fish On Bait & Tackle (Grand Haven/Nunica)

Shoreline Service & Tackle (Muskegon)

Johnson's Great Outdoors (Whitehall/Montague)

Captain Chuck's (Ludington)

Tangled Tackle (Manistee)

Frankfort Tackle Box (Frankfort)

MC Sports Outdoor Center (Traverse City)

• 2 weeks later...

The current derby leader is 29# 4.7 oz weighed in at MC Sports in Traverse city.

Big fish in Ludington (Capt Chuck's) on day 1 was 26.6#.

This morning a 26# 15.2 oz King was weighed in at Shoreline Service & Tackle in Muskegon.

So far have some pretty good fish entered -- especially considering the lake was a little rougher than forcasted by NOAA. Getting the www.michigansalmonspectacular.com site updated as the weigh stations send in the information.

• 2 weeks later...

After some computer/website glitches the Michigan Salmon Spectacular standings page is now updated (http://www.michigansalmonspectacular.com/#!standings/c1ir9)

Direct link to PDF of full standings: http://media.wix.com/ugd/d71988_cc30910b8ae21273327d49d010a8992d.pdf

The new derby leader was weighed in at Capt Chuck's in Ludington Sunday morning with a King weighing in at 34# 12 oz.

• 4 months later...

I don't know yet. Still debating whether to try again. The 2013 entries were significantly below expectations and even with severly reduced payouts, resulted in $4000+ of unrecovered expenses. The late start on getting the word out was a major contributor but not sure if getting the number of entries needed is realistic. My being in the hospital for 3 weeks in late summer/fall didn't help either.

Opinions would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I will fish again. Loved these derby style tourneys. Fished them every year on lake O when I lived there.

I think getting the word out earlier would definitely help. I talked to a few people that would have fished it had they known about it sooner. I found out about it shortly before it started.