stacker line questions

I am just starting to run scackers or cheater lines on my down rigger lines, How long should I make the Lines and what are people using to clip them to the lines. Also how far up from the other release should i put the lines. Thanks

I don't run sliders often but when I do I make them about 6' long and then half hitch a rubber band to the main line to keep it where I want it. The nice thing about using rubber bands is you can reel the band onto the spool and reset it right back where it was.

guess it would depend on what kind of downrigger you run? I like to keep 15ft between clips & use the little line bullets to trigger the stop on a Scotty & a second one down just off the boom to keep from popping off the clip

We use 6' long sliders, semi fixed with surgical tubing on the mail line...learned from GLF's own Mike Heckman...I've attempted others, and every once in a while if we are lazy we'll through a free slider on a rigger (that's when you just hook it to the line and let it find its' own depth). There is probably not a right way or wrong way to run sliders, just whatever you feel comfortable with setting.

they've described sliders pretty good but if your wanting a stacker then chamberlain has the best stackers I have seen so far. they are made to release on the cable when they hit the end of your downrigger boom and just slide down the cable to your main release. and I also use chamberlain releases for my main release. I set my stackers anywhere fron 5 ft to 10 ft above my main release. you can put them anywhere you want them on your cable then just lock them in place. then when your bringing your ball up and the stacker hits the end of your boom it will release the lock and it just slides down your cable. you can check out the chamberlain releases at downriggerrelease.com and watch the video.

sherman