60# copper backing?

What are you guys using for backing on the new 60# blood run copper? I currently have a bulk spool of 50# braided line I used for my 32# copper but was thinking I might need something more stronger for the heavier copper? What are your thoughts?

Per what I was told a few years back, the copper "weight" is not breaking strength but rather the diameter of equivalent regular mono line. I would think that 50# test braid would be just fine.

I always use a 20# test leader for spoons and a 30# leader for plugs and/or flasher fly/cut bait. I want the leader to break to "only" loose the lure and not the copper. I'm going to regret saying this, but so far have not had a leader break either. Did have to do a copper repair due to a bird nest trashing a segment on the reel.

I use 30lb Blood Run backing line for all my coppers and would use it for my 60lb as well but not enough room on my Okuma 55. I used 50lb braid for the 60lb and it is more than adequate. Just be careful depending on the reel you are using, the 60lb fills fast!

just leting you know, 300 feet of 60lb on an Okuma 55 does not leave the amount of backing that most guys are used to. I have no issues at all but some guys like having 1000 yards of backing which you will not have room for. Your 60lb should be closest to the boat anyways and as stated in previous posts, the fish are not going to pull the 60lb like they do with the smaller coppers.

So if I use 50# power pro braid for my backing I should start with like 100 yards? Maybe 200yards? I've got both 32# and 45# so I want to use the 60# for my deep deep coppers. My plan is having a 300,350,400,450 of 60#. In your opinion do you think it's good to go every 50ft? Or should I go like every 30ft?.

Personally I would not go with any weight line presentation longer than 300'. If you need to get deeper than that add Dive Bombs or Torpedo Diver weights. It might catch fish but who in their right mind wants to reel in more than 300' of it.

As for backing, consider that you will be deploying the entire weighted line then connecting to a board and let the board out to the side of the boat. If you let it out 50', that is 50' of backing from the rod to the board. Now when a fish hits it is going to take line. With many 25 to 35 pound Kings being caught on Lake Michigan, I would not want any less than 200 yards of backing on any weighted line outfit.

There is nothing fun about it that's for sure! I have had very good results with my 350,400,450 coppers in the past. There is always a lucky someone on the boat that gets to reel the long ones in! Well hopefully UPS comes tmrw so I can start rigging them up! Again thanks for your opinion and good luck out on the water. Thanks!

I do not believe you could effectively fish any more that 300 feet of 60lb on a 55 series Okuma. If you want to do more and keep a level line reel your best option would be to step up to an Okuma Solterra 50L. Also keep in mind a 300 60lb will be roughly equivalent to a 400 45lb copper per Blood Run's depth charts.

As far as filling your 55 Okuma, I would suggest filling backwards and then transfer over to a different empty reel if possible to ensure the most backing as possible. I do not know exactly how much backing I have on mine but I can assure you I have no worries ever that I will get spooled, even with the larger fish this year. If you run your drags at an appropriate level and not so loose that every fish is a "screamer" you will be more than fine.

Personally I would not go with any weight line presentation longer than 300'. If you need to get deeper than that add Dive Bombs or Torpedo Diver weights. It might catch fish but who in their right mind wants to reel in more than 300' of it.

As for backing, consider that you will be deploying the entire weighted line then connecting to a board and let the board out to the side of the boat. If you let it out 50', that is 50' of backing from the rod to the board. Now when a fish hits it is going to take line. With many 25 to 35 pound Kings being caught on Lake Michigan, I would not want any less than 200 yards of backing on any weighted line outfit.

Right on the button, any kind of in line weight and you get the desired depth without all the hassle of more than 100 yards of heavy fight killing line out there. I hate catching fish on copper. No fight and its hard work. I run 300 and 200 of 45# but if I can get away with all Lead core and just add dive bombs I do. My most active presentations this year have been on Downriggers with free sliders. My wire dipsey presentations have been on fire too. Since May we haven't had a lot of action on the copper set ups. The Leadcore has been on fire. My real reaction to 450' or more is how much fun can it be pulling in a fish that has gotten all the fight taken out of it by the line.

The 30lb backing line is fine for shorter 60lb (300 and less). You could probably get more 50lb braid on, but not much more. Maybe enough to put on 350 of 60lb, which would equal 450 of 45lb.

Dive bombs are great, as long as it is on your inside rod or only rod. You cannot set a dive bomb, torpedo, or similar snap on weighted device on a long line, and set it back out into your spread over other inside copper rigs. You will tangle immediately as they dive too sharply. This is common knowledge, but never mentioned by fans of those devices.

If you run multiple coppers, which most do, you need to use just the appropriate staggered segments of copper to allow for easy retrieve and redeploy of your rigs after changing baits or catching fish.

We did put 50lb mono backer on our Solterra for 400+ 60lb copper. We are not fans of braid because it slips in planer releases and dry rots on the reel. Long 60lb copper with TX 44 planers put a huge amount of strain on the backer, so we stepped up to 50lb mono to be safe.