Battery Cables

I'm moving my batteries from the back of the boat to mid ships, mostly in a move to transfer some weight after installing my 4 stroke kicker.

My question. For a trailer boat, stored inside and used in only fresh water do i need to spend all the extra money for tinned battery cables or can I use marine awg copper.

That's quite an icon pic Steve, it looks too close for comfort, imho. I agree, it's a good idea to move those batteries for better weight distribution. As for the cables, I really don't know, but if you have the spare money available for upgrading, why not? Can you post any link to see what you're talking about, cause I'm not privy to that cable system now? It's a good idea to also have a boat name, otherwise, you are another no-name, and that isn't good if you need help on the water some day, or just want to converse on the radio with the other guys. Maybe "Stawker" is a name, St for Steve, and awker for the hawk model? Maybe even a fav lure, like Yuk, or Moonshiner?

Hey Steve, and welcome to the site. I agree with your choice to move the batts. forward to mid-ship area. As for the cable system, if you can well afford it, why not? Could you post a link to the tinned system, I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds good. A boat name is also a good idea, not another no-name boat. That name will allow you better communications via VHF radio to identify yourself, and also in an emergency. How about "Stawker"? The St for Steve, the awker for the hawk model? Tight lines.

That's quite an icon pic Steve, it looks too close for comfort, imho. I agree, it's a good idea to move those batteries for better weight distribution. As for the cables, I really don't know, but if you have the spare money available for upgrading, why not? Can you post any link to see what you're talking about, cause I'm not privy to that cable system now? It's a good idea to also have a boat name, otherwise, you are another no-name, and that isn't good if you need help on the water some day, or just want to converse on the radio with the other guys. Maybe "Stawker" is a name, St for Steve, and awker for the hawk model? Maybe even a fav lure, like Yuk, or Moonshiner?

Hey Ed. That's in the DeTour Passage up at Drummond Island. They run a pretty tight course through there, so when you are fishing along the reef you know their bearing and they don't change it. Also the beauty of the zoom lens and better cameras out these days.

As far as the cable, tinned copper looks just like it sounds. When I search marine battery cable it comes up mostly as the tinned stuff. And I don't have the extra money if I don't need it, lol. Rigging a boat is expensive and the admiral is running out of budgetary patience!

I found some very reasonable sources online for battery cable and I would definately use tinned cable. Corrosion can really sneak up on you on a boat sometimes it will start causing probablems before you can even see it. Its very important to use at least a 1000mca or 800cca on most outboard especially 4cyl and larger and to properly terminate your connections. Just bolting the cables together will work but is definately not the right way to do it. It can cause reliability issues and possible cause a fire if done that way. Power posts or distribution blocks should be used.

......Admirals notwithstanding as they are really want-to-be's. Always do what is right.

So true. When I was active duty, our C.O. was scared to death of the command Master Chief. And rightly so.

Also, did I create a dangerous situation by using welding cable for my battery banks?