I've run leadcore from in-line boards and big boards for years and it works great. If you run big boards from a mast try to get your realease clip onto the backing if possible, but it will work even snapped directly to the leadcore.

All my leadcore rigs have at least 10 colors but I often run only 5-8 colors depending on how deep the fish are in the water column. Leaders are a personal preference thing and I've seen a lot of trollers who insist that you have to run at least 30-50 ft. of leader. If your going to run 3-5 colors then you may want that long of a leader, but most times on a full core I only run 8-10ft. of flurocarbon. Most people either swear by leadcore or swear at it!

There are times when it will out fish almost any other trolling presentation. Keep in mind when you are reeling in a fish on leadcore try not to pump the rod like you might on mono or braid, any slack line when you lower the rod and the fish will be gone! Hope this helps!

If your attaching your leadcore directly to your release your going to have a bad day sooner or later. That might work for a little while but it will break eventually.

I would run it all out and attach directly to the backing.

If your lucky it will only break and you'll lose gear. If your unlucky it will break on a 20+ pound king.

If you talking about in line planers....

let all of the lead out, plus 10 feet of backer. Then attach your board and let her go back to where you want. Set your drag so that it just barely holds, or even clicks once in a while. When a fish hits it will screaaam. Now i dont have my boards set to release, just personal preference. I point the rod tip down and reel it in.

if the board dives, back off and let it come back to the surface.

x2 what Gnarf said...I haven't lost a board yet, but I've had them slide down the line on me...I attach them in a similar fashion to Gnarf..I know some that will not just use the pinch pads, but also wrap it around to avoid slipping..

For running copper or lead we tie an 8 feet or so mono segment...i think 30# between the copper or lead. And the backing. We then switch the front pinch on the board 180 degrees so its facing towards the board and clip it to the mono segment. The results are that the board never comes unhooked or slides.

My small inline boards are set to release and slide but my tx-44s I have for copper face towards the board. Easier to handle with all that copper out there. I don't mind my small boards sliding....I think it puts more pressure on the fish but also takes some of the fight out due to the drag.

I love the stuff on a board. Im a rookie as well and the 10 color core on tx44 board has been about the only thing we can get fish on. It does get a bit confusing sometimes in chop water weather you have a fish on or its just the waves tricking you. That might get better with more experience. And we have towed a couple fish around not knowing they were on but again experience will help.

My buddy uses the smaller walleye boards with LC and they work just fine as well.

Otter boats for your 10 core and 2 core and 5 core and 7 core. And coppers. Catch my drift? Eliminates all those unattatching the boards, reeling high ,reeling low,board slid down to the fish problems.etc. Far superior system.

Gear Goober? What the heck Robert, I think your 22-24' Mako looks good to go. Full core rods are best for deeper fishing, whereas, 2,3 5, & 7 colors can vary in depths for different type target fishing, and differing times of year. The boards, depending on size and make, will work different in differing sea conditions, and speed of course. The LC trick/tool started about 20 years ago, and is one of the best tricks we have yet today, besides coppers new entry too. Better fisherman have several rods ready to go at varying color offerings. Mark each rod with the number of colors on it with peel off numbers. You don't want to hear everyone on the radio talking about catching consistently on 5 colors, when you only have 10 color rod setups. I would try running 2 boards per side on your size boat, one shorter, one longer. Right now over in Ludington, it's 3 color, and 5 color bites. Would also suggest tying on a keel sinker, or bead stopper above the main about 6', this stops the board above the fish so it doesn't knock him off, another small tip. Many fish are lost due to being hit in the mouth with the planer board otherwise.