How to launch a boat: Many don't follow the etiquette rules, and it's causing 'ramp r

News

This article forgot one thing, please do not leave your headlights on when you are going to launch or retrieve the boat as then I cant see when I'm trying to back up my trailer. And yes, please do it now, I don't care that your are almost done, turn off your stupid headlights. :-D

It's all about education. You have to prove your proficiency to obtain a drivers license to operate a car or truck. The CG classes should be the bare minimum to obtain your boat registration. Many of these new boaters would also benefit from a few hours of practicing backing a trailer in a empty parking lot. Most of these clowns don't realize they are clowns. A person in charge at the ramps could put an end to this also.

A few weeks ago I was waiting in a parking place for my crew to arrive. I saw a lone person snake back a boat trailer and launch his boat and tie up for approximately 15 min. This was on a weekend. He walked into the parking lot scanning for his guest. I told him that I too was waiting for some guests but I was doing so in the parking area and not tying up a dock. His reply was he was only waiting for one person, as if this made it better than waiting for 3 or more. Ignorance is in long supply in the boat world.

Another pet peeve of mine is people that do prep things on the ramp going in and coming out. The lack of etiquette is the main reason I seldom fish weekends. There are idiots during the week also but it's times 10 or more on the weekends.

After fishing Sunday with Jon. My Wife and I were going to try and take Evan to the beach to no avail. we came back to the Holland launch as Evan wanted to watch the boats come out of the water. While there a county sheriff pulled in and walked up under the shade of the trees and sat down. We started talking and I guess last weekend in the evening they had a pretty good fight over pulling and launching and the sheriff now is going to be at the ramp after 3 pm. It was a zoo to say the least. one guy tied up a jet ski to the dock and vanished for the half hour we were there. He showed up just before we left carrying a gas can so he could fill up. Meanwhile that dock was tied up for half an hour with about 30 boats all trying to get in.