Trolling 101

Most fishermen don't pay attention to the details. It's not about one BIG thing, it's a lot of little things that add up.

It all starts with boat control. I don't mean perfect boat control, because some times a little erratic driving will trigger strikes. I drive erratically on purpose when the situation calls for it. It is also not acceptable to drive yourself into tangles. Running 12 or more lines you have to keep an erratic control. I call it driving like a drunken sailor.

Next get the speed right, and that can vary. The fish will talk to you so make sure you are paying attention. The drunken sailor drive will help determine what speed is best. Some times they just want it different, faster or slower.

PRESENTATION is so important Get everything else right and blow this one and its not going to happen.

Poor rod handling is most common out there. A lot of fisherman think they do it right but are so far off it's laughable. Some will not accept, or admit, they are doing it wrong so they keep on keeping on. When there is a fish on keep the rod bent and low. I mean keep that rod bent at ALL times. Keep the fish in the water. Quit shaking the rod like you're in a sword fight. Be cool and in control.

Proper netting. Ya have to close the deal. People with poor rod handling tactics add to the problems at the net. People wave nets around like flags and catch anything on the way to a fish. When they finally get to their destination they poke at the fish and most likely knock it off. Ya have be cool and in control. Netting is not an exact thing. The fish and rod handler will vary things, but you have to close the deal. Get good at netting.

Just any one of these details can throw the game way off. SO GET IT RIGHT and your percentages will skyrocket.

I play most every fish off the sides with the rod 90 degrees to the gunwales. I have been doing this for a quite awhile. It keeps the fish in the water and they surface only as they are netted easily. Keep the rod tip straight out or even slightly down as the situation requires. Keep the rod bent.