trolling speeds

I am confused about trolling speeds. I fish out of south haven Mi on lake Michigan. I was under the impression I need to be trolling about 2.5-3mph at the ball but I have been reading depth charts that all say that the data is 2.0 and 2.5mph on the gps. last weekend I had to troll 5.5-6.mph on the gps to get 2.5-2.7 at the ball. Can anyone help me...... am I trolling to fast???

5.5-6 seems a little fast - were you in a river?

The current changes direction and speed all the time - that is why fish hawk and other similar products have become very helpful tools.

It also depends WHAT you are trolling with (meat, spoons, spinnies, paddles, etc) as to how fast you need to go. Meat and spinnies like to "work" a little slower while spoons (depending on manufacturer) like to work a little quicker (up to 3mph). That being said I have caught steelhead close to surface going 4.5 (lure speed) as well, so you never know what they might like.

We typically target 2.7mph lure speed with a mainly spoon spread - maybe a couple other things in the mix.

The current is most commonly 1.5pmh or less so your gps speed will be 2-4...I really have not ever gone 5.5+ on the gps...something seems off to me there but anything is possible I guess.

If the currents are stronger it is even more important to square up to them - troll directly into or out of the current...trolling sideways in that much current will mess you up big time.

I was fishing in lake Michigan. I use a depth raider speed sensor. I thought it seemed fast but I did pick up a 15# king on a dipsy. trolling with some flys and spoons. I wonder if there is something wrong with my depth raider system?

I don't think there is a too fast or too slow if you can get lures down the fish will decide. I am a speed troller I like to cover water and work aggressive fish. Going slow lets the fish have too much time to look over your bait I want them to grab it so when going faster they have to use up energy to look it over. That said the lure still has to work correctly and most lures have a sweet spot as to speed and setup. The exception is bottom fishing as those fish are often resting so a slow noisy setup gets them to wake up and take the bait. As Mark said depth also plays into it chasing steelhead is different than working kings or browns or lakers.

There are really so many variables in the mix to consider, this isn't a one answer to all question, as Mark and Jim pointed out correctly. Consider what fish you want to target first, and the predominant conditions under, and above water, temperature, time of season, kind of lures, and so much more. In the old days, we considered 2.0-2.2 to be the best overall speed for most cases, and that's mph/sob, (speed over bottom). I always start slow while setting up lines, usually 1.7-1.9 and adjust from there.

Most likely you were trolling with the current which will cause you to have to run a lot faster to get the correct speed 5 mph seems alittle high but I've had time here in Ludington where the current is ripping and had to go 4 mph sog to get 2.5 at the ball

Before any of this gets too far remember every speed device is calibrated differently. I can run my Garmin 5 ft away from my Lowrance and they read different speeds. Last summer Fishsniffer and I were trolling the same area and both running the same patterns and GPS speed and he passed me.

Before any of this gets too far remember every speed device is calibrated differently. I can run my Garmin 5 ft away from my Lowrance and they read different speeds. Last summer Fishsniffer and I were trolling the same area and both running the same patterns and GPS speed and he passed me.

Correct but I think the point is when there is that much difference on your own units and the down speed is that much faster you are trolling with the current

Yes one thing I did with my Depth Raider years ago was ran it 4 ft down off the side of the boat and compared it to my GPS that I use all the time the Lowrance 525CDF What I found was the probe ran roughly .8mph less than the Lowrance So I could factor that into my speed figures. So if my down speed was the same as my GPS I knew I was going into a current of around .8mph. I also know that a setup that looks good at 3.0 on GPS needs to run at 2.2 down speed to have the same action. Finally the only place those numbers mean anything is on my boat yours will be slightly different. Going back a few years I took my brother his son and a friend out on Labor day to do a little Steelhead fishing. My buddy Steve and another friend were on his 17 on the cell phone I gave him all my numbers because we were killing the fish he followed me with the exact same program and could not buy a fish. We took our last double for our limit 200 yds off his stern. I told him to keep the program and change his speed til he got fish and he had to speed up almost 1 mph to match me and then he started getting fish. So my numbers won't work on his boat.