Frustrating evening....just could not stay hooked into the fish. Ended 1 for... 9. Best depth was 120-140 fow. Could not get any high lines to fire. Riggers down 72 with blue dolphin had a few hits. 300 and 350 coppers with Blue Chilly Willie and U of M Froggie took a few hits and some solid screamers, just could not hook up! One rip on a dipsy 210 back with a paddle and oceana fly. Managed one steelie on a high line (finally) on a Mandarine Minnow. Not sure why we weren't hooking up, we lost some very solid fish. Even lost two about 50ft from the back of the boat. Back out next week, we'll see how this front coming through changes the fishing for the weekend....

low catch to bite ratios definatly are frustrating...but..if you got bit 9 times you can take comfort in the fact that some things are going right..with the amount of coho and steel around your gonna have some days where you lose more than you catch for sure..sharp hooks are a must but not always a gaurantee..that makes it even more frustrating:eek:

We have a habit of checking every hook before it goes into the water. Sharpen if necessary. Some hooks, Michigan Stinger in particular must be sharpened as soon as they come out of the package.

This practice has helped us a lot.

I don't throw a lure in the water anymore unless its been sharpened. Can't say my hooking ratio is high but on the year I am 5-5 in 3 trips (knock on wood) and haven't lost a sheepie yet either. Sharp hooks are imperative