Vacuum Advanc or No Vacuum Advance?

I recently had a power module fail on my Volvo/Chevy 5.0. The mechanic that worked on it (non marine), suggested that it needed a vacuum advance setup on the distributer. We replaced the power module, and installed an accel high performance coil. I also ordered an Accel High 8 ignition system that will be installed in the coming weeks. The boat now reaches 4000 RPMs easily and cruises at 25-26mph with significantly less throttle than previous. I have heard varying degrees of input on whether vacuum advance should be installed on marine motors. Many say it is a no brainer can't hurt (mostly general auto mechanics). Some marine guys suggest that since marine motors are always under load, they don't reliably produce enough vacuum to correctly advance spark, leading to unheard detonation and valve damage over time? What say yea marine motor guys?

Marine engines do not cruise like cars, there is always much more load on a marine engine than a car and the vacuum levels are not the same making it very hard to tune. It's not impossible though and it may be easier on some boats then others but IMO not worth the hassle or expense.

All marine engines for as long as I can remember have mechanical advances. You would be very hard pressed to find a marine vacuum distributor.

I would caution you against putting car parts on the boat. They are not built to the same safety requirements and specifications as marine parts and could cause you to be stranded or even worse a fire or explosion.