wire line on okuma rods

Hey guys,

with the fleas being as bad as they are im thinking of makin the switch to wire divers. My question is, i run okuma glt pro dipsy rods, would i need to add some sort of twilli tip? or are the guides ok without them.

Also any brand/type of wire better then the other?

Personally I prefer wire on my divers...most of the shops now are running the new stuff..19 strand I think...came out a few years back to replace heavier stuff...new stuff is much thinner and still very strong...you'll not regret it.

Okuma was coming out with a new wire rod for Great Lakes fishing this spring. I saw them up in Pentwater at the bait store. looked like a great rod and the cost was still better than the Blue Diamond rod. I'm sure lakeshore or the the outdoorsman would have them in stock by now.

I'm running two types of wire currently, what was spooled on the reel from the outdoorsman (so I'm "not sure" what brand) on two of my reels, the other two are spooled with Blood Red, both work great.

We run the 19 strand Torpedo wire. Hard our taolas rewraped by Eyefull custom rods, no twilli tip, no problem, the eyes show no wear at all, the 19 strand suff does have a learning curve on getting it on the reel tho, follow the manufacture recomendations on spooling it up

i have 2 of those GLT PRO'S, i run wire on them with the tips they came with.I figured i would change the tips only when they wore out. So far no problems at all. i run 30# 7 strand wire.keep in mind i only fish on weekends when i can escape.

So if I read these posts correctly, the regular tip guide is OK to use with wire? If so, that would be great for me, less gear to buy! I'm still running braid, have no GPS/graph, no copper yet, I'm like fishing in the stone age, LOL! thanks guys!

So if I read these posts correctly, the regular tip guide is OK to use with wire? If so, that would be great for me, less gear to buy! I'm still running braid, have no GPS/graph, no copper yet, I'm like fishing in the stone age, LOL! thanks guys!

gps/graph would be the first on my list. and dont feel bad about no copper and only running braid. i ran a 4 rod spread for 2 years and did pretty darn good.

gps/graph would be the first on my list. and dont feel bad about no copper and only running braid. i ran a 4 rod spread for 2 years and did pretty darn good.

My regular spread consists of 2 riggers, 2 divers, and 2 different color cores. I have a small boat so I'm limited on space. I want to add a wire diver, as I hear good things about them. I just bought some rods and reels for the CU's, and need the copper line itself. But this off season, a new graph is in the budget!

You can use a regular tip top guide but a roller or twillie tip is much better. Since the wire is going to run over the tip and keep pressure on that guide the surging of the boat, turns, speed changes... will cause the wire to move back and forth. This can act like a little chain saw on the guide. It isn't going to happen real fast but it won't happen with the roller or twillie. The rest of the guides will also experience this it isn't as much because the wire is in less contact with the guides except when letting out the diver or fighting a fish.

I'd go with a Torpedo Diver Roller. As good as the other brands but less than 1/2 the price.

Hey guys,

with the fleas being as bad as they are im thinking of makin the switch to wire divers. My question is, i run okuma glt pro dipsy rods, would i need to add some sort of twilli tip? or are the guides ok without them.

Also any brand/type of wire better then the other?

The fleas will still get on the wire but it is no problem to get them off and they only stick to the last 4 to 5 feet of wire before the dipsey. It doesn't interfere with the guides on your rod like the Power Pro or mono dipseys, and the Fleas come off easily by comparison. Good call on the wire and go ahead and use a good Okuma dipsey rod I put the Twill tip on mine and have no problems. remember to keep tension on the wire when you store the rod or you will get curly wire.

The fleas will still get on the wire but it is no problem to get them off and they only stick to the last 4 to 5 feet of wire before the dipsey. It doesn't interfere with the guides on your rod like the Power Pro or mono dipseys, and the Fleas come off easily by comparison. Good call on the wire and go ahead and use a good Okuma dipsey rod I put the Twill tip on mine and have no problems. remember to keep tension on the wire when you store the rod or you will get curly wire.

thanks for the tip about storing them. saved me a headache im sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say wd-40 definatly helps with sea fleas on braid so would have to imagine it would help w/ wire also...it will need to be applied frequently tho. I screwed up and put it on both my braid dipseys twice now

, so not really too sure how much more it helped w/ it or without it on braid...but I know im getting more fleas on my rigger cables and downrigger flouro line than my braid dipseys now, which is a first.

This might need a thread of its own...