Pre Alpha trim cylinders issues (Help)

Any advice on how to OR where I need to go greatly appreciated. Last trip out the port side trim cylinder on the outdrive started leaking badly. The outdrive also would not power down all the way. I have replaced the leaking ram but now the outdrive will power up but will not hold in the up position but will slide back down. I have added fluid multiple times, tried bleeding various ways and it still will not hold up. I took both rams off and found out they will power out but they will not power back in they just stay extended. The motor runs both ways. Any suggestions or who around here is a good mechanic who knows old pre alpha mercruiser stuff. Any guys here who know their stuff looking for a job? I'm sick of the boat sitting in the barn and not fishing.

slickcraft ss 235, 1973

PS-Working on it today also noticed a small gas leak in the carb where the throttle cable is attached (the piece that rotates where it enters the side of the carb, and the boat stalls when trying to idle down or shift into forward or reverse. Its hard to get the boat to go forward or reverse without stalling multiple times. Seems like you need to quick get gas to it to keep it going.

Please help I'm having fishing withdrawals bad.

how fast does it fall back down? on my 194 if it sat more than a week it would gradually settle and that ended up being a very small leak in one of the braided lines. if it's falling you are losing pressure somewhere, is oil leaking up at the pump?

There is no pressure holding it up. It falls within a minute and you can push it the rest of the way down by hand. And it has no "down" pressure at all. It won't even retract the cylinders when they are loose and not even connected to the outdrive.

I can't see any leaks.

bob did you bleed the line for the new cylinder? if you didn't you probly have air in the lines , call me I had similar problems once I bled the lines the problem went away ,are you putting trim oil or transmission oil in it ?

• 2 months later...