short rigger rods

Steve, I run 7' Daiwa Heartlands on my riggers and love them. I only have 4 rods on my boat longer than 7' 6" and would swap them out for shorter if I could. I actually think it's easier to handle an ornery fish at the back of the boat on shorter rods. And mine are medium lite action.

I use 6'6" whooping sticks from cabelas the ugly stick should work good. the reason I like the short rods is I run 2 riggers 1 off each corner then run 6 divers 3 off each side. it just makes it easier to take my diver rods up and over the short rigger rods. but I am fishing for walleyes. I see no disadvantages to using the shorter rods.

sherman

Take a look at the Shakespeare Ugly Stik BWD1101 7'0" medium power 2-piece downrigger rod for salmon. It's a very well constructed rod that will hold up to years of use at a reasonable price making it an excellent value. Don't confuse it with the similar BWD1131 7'0" light power 1-piece rod that is better suited to walleye trolling.

A shorter rod will always give you more control over fish vs. a longer rod. If you can find a 6'6" rod with the action and power you like, go for it. A rod is a simple lever, unfortunately fishermen are holding the short end of the lever. A shorter rod gives a fish less mechanical advantage over the fisherman vs. a longer one. Non believers can do a simple test of this principle. Take a 6' rod and a 9' rod of equal power and action. Try to pick up a 5# weight with each rod, you will see which one will give you more control of a fish. Loading of rods in a rigger is mainly a feel or preferrence type thing. Hook set is dictated by the release, not the rod. Even a 9' rigger rod with maybe 4' of loading, will never take up the blowback of even a short set rigger ball. If you like short rigger rods, go with them, others like longer rods, there is no wrong answer, fish what works in your program.

7' Ugly Sticks on my riggers. Only downside is they're 1 piece but have a good parabolic action to them.

7ft ugly stick one piece 1100's awesome fun on a green fish on a DR. Not made anymore. I want a few if anybody has some. 1101's are 2 piece work well but I'd love to pick up some 1100's.

• 2 weeks later...