lake trout set up

I'll be over for 4 days later this month. If the fishing is slow for silver I would like to get the kids into a few lakers .

I have never targeted Lakers so don't really know where to start except close to the bottom.

Is it just salmon gear run low or is there a specific set up. I have heard about spin n glo but do not know how they get rigged?

Thanks

;

Dodgers and spin n glos or dodgers and squids are what we run most. 1.5-1.9 on the speed. the trick is to stand at the rigger and keep it just ticking the bottom. The best method to figure leader length on a dodger is three times the length of the dodger. I typically try to keep shorter lead length from the cannon ball 15 ft or so. The trick is to find the area that the trout like the bottom. Ask wherever you go and find out where the lake trout typically are at.

as stated tin cans with spin n glows are great. i also like meat rigs on my dipsys just off the bottom. greens and yellows.

you can run them like jimmy does with a fly behind em or just a spin n glow but be sure to put a bead between the hook and the spin n glow.

the fish hit very lightly sometimes so it takes a little practice to tell between hitting bottom and a fish.

ask around the local bait shops for the areas lakers like in the port you fish.

holland has a good number of them south in 80-100

Think cold water, thats what the lakers like up here. and for the most part this time of year it's going to be pretty tight to the bottom. Before you start bouncing your cannon ball off the bottom you need to have a real good Idea just what the bottom is made of, Mud flats are good --- Rock bottoms are BAD, (Better have a few extra cannon balls on board)

Our best set ups of Northern Lake Huron Lakers are as follows.

Trash Can Dodgers/Flodgers in front of a two tone glow spin-n-glow like jim has pictured without the skirt and with the Mylar wings and the Glow spin-n-glow with red dots. we tie our own riggs. the spin-n-glows are tied so they run 20-24 inches behind the dodger.These rigs are tied with 25-30 pound line

We also run "Peanuts" Same color as the spinnies, these are tied with 50# line and only run 12 to16 inches behind the dodger(Running the peanuts on that heavy of line that close to the dodger give them a way better action) that you don't need running the spinnies.

One of the biggest problem I see with die hard salmon fisherman consistantly NOT catching Lakers is "They DON'T watch the rod tips. 99% of the lakers we catch up here in the summer will NOT pull the line out of the release !!! It will look more like a very weak perch bite on the loaded rod, and if you don't catch that, and snap the rod free and reel like a mad man to take up the slack, he might be gone, if the hook stays in it's mouth after that for the most part you get what I call a "Heavy" rod the loaded rod just doesn't look right, thats caused by the fish swimming along with the boat but not quite as fast....... Hope this helps, if you have anymore question please ask, we do catch a TON of lakers up up here in the summer, and we are getting quite good at it "Most" days .... John