screen/boat names?

LongLine

Ok guys, Dv8oR got me curious. What’s the story behind the screen name you go by, or the name you’ve chosen for your boat?

I'll start – “LongLine†has nothing to do with commercial swordfishing for me. (Also I believe it’s illegal in NYS.) The first salmon I caught in Lake Ontario back in the 70’s happened to be on a surface line that was over 150 yds back. Hence it was a long way back there, i.e. on the longline. To this day, one of my lines is usually way back there. (I’ve also been told it sometimes describes some of my posts/stories) :grin:

So what's the scoop? Why'd you pick that name?

Capt Levi cuz it's my name. Sportboat was the name given to the vessel and the business by the original owner Capt. Chuck Knipschild. I could never change either name as not only is Sportboat Charters arguably the oldest running charter operation out of the port of St. Joe, but also Sportboat used to be (and in my opinion still is) the Queen of the fleet.

Being that she may be the only vessel that was turned into a full time charter boat when newly afloat in Lake Michigan and possibly the Great Lakes, it is believed by many that she probably has run more sportfishing trips and caught more salmon and trout while Sportfishing than any other vessel sharing these waters as well.

My 16 foot sylvan boat when I purchased it from the original owner was Heavy Action Too. So when I purchased the Sea nymph GLS220 it had no name on it and Heavy Action sounded good. I have a Heavy Action and a Heavy Action Too( Will there ever be a Heavy Action 3 in the future?)

I must be going again. had to add the 2 after i screwed things up on this machine.

john safe fishing:)

Welcome to the site John. We can fix your username. Check your private messages.

GLF I thank u for trying to omit the 2 behind my screen name/boat name

but it would have to be done on a lot of places. I be so used to it now

that it would mess my head up, and i really don't need help to do that.

tks again and will be around

john:)

John,

I can not help you on the other sites, but just say the word and I will make the change here.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Empty Hook is the name of my boat, Im up to Empty Hook IV now. last spring i purcased a 1995 crestliner sabre for no. 4

the name came from in the late eighties we took a spring charter out of mexico bay on lake ontario and we didnt catch anything. we went down to the nice and easy convient store in pulaski and they had these little gold hooks that go on your hat brims so we all bought them and called ourselves the empty hook club cause we didnt catch anything. 2 years later i bought my first boat and headed for the lake armed with 2 little riggers and 4 poles for some brown trout fishing,i asked them if anyone wanted to go. then jokingly i said , cause the empty hook was going fishing and the name stuck.

Empty Hook III and IV ( no. 3 for sale still)

emptyhooks2.jpg

I call my 24' sportcraft Week Daze, cause during the week I am usually in a daze waiting for the weekend so I can be on the lake.

But times are getting better, I am spending more and more time on the water.

And as soon as I get a little more info, I'll be turning me into a Charter Capt.

Alot have asked where the Fish Dog name came from. I have a Cholate Lab named "Fisher" I have a buddy, Pete, who always called her Fish Dog. Eventually the name came from the dog to me. When I start selling fishing gear a few years ago, i just seemed fun. The dog in the logo is Fisher my lab who started it all. Many of you have seen her hanging out on the boat with me, she is 8 years old and goes about everywhere I do.

Dave

My 16 foot sylvan boat when I purchased it from the original owner was Heavy Action Too. So when I purchased the Sea nymph GLS220 it had no name on it and Heavy Action sounded good. I have a Heavy Action and a Heavy Action Too( Will there ever be a Heavy Action 3 in the future?)

I think Heavy Action and Heavy Action Too would have to do the wild thing to make a Heavy Action 3....lol.....

As posted to a Long Line query!

I used to drive by this old bar called DV8.

I don't think anybody could make this place work which was ironic for a place where the name means to make or create a change in something.

I adopted the dv8 and use it still in my email address dv8_usa.

I like to think I single handedly can create change in the great US.

Dv8oR a creator of change seemed like a cool screen name that wasnt' being used.....lol.....

Pronounced Deviator!

T

I think Heavy Action and Heavy Action Too would have to do the wild thing to make a Heavy Action 3....lol.....

As posted to a Long Line query!

I used to drive by this old bar called DV8.

I don't think anybody could make this place work which was ironic for a place where the name means to make or create a change in something.

I adopted the dv8 and use it still in my email address dv8_usa.

I like to think I single handedly can create change in the great US.

Dv8oR a creator of change seemed like a cool screen name that wasnt' being used.....lol.....

Pronounced Deviator!

T

If that's going to happen I hope they have big children

• 3 weeks later...

My first son is named William J. Ruth V, and as a joke a friend started calling him Billy V, even though we call him William. I decided to name the boat after him and it's just stuck. Then little brother Ben came along unexpectedly....not sure what to do about this...

Do I keep the Billy V name for the new boat I just bought or do I name is something else to keep both of my kids names involved? The charter business is called Billy V Sportfishing.....

Any suggestions?

Well, you could call it the “Billy Ben Fishing Coâ€. That would probably make both boys happy, indicate fishing is your favorite pastime as well as saying you are available as a charter. You might even attract some clientele from somewhat southern geography. :grin: The down side: Yankee Trl’r might refer to you as the “Hill†Billy. :eek:

On the other hand if you simply called it “Billy Ben Fishingâ€, every one in the Marina, upon seeing your boat docked there, would know that you have Been Fishing in addition to keeping the boys happy. :grin: Another alternative might be “Billy Fishing Ben†or the inverse “Ben Fishing Billy†however that might get you in trouble with the law regards sibling cruelty legislation. :angry2:

H.I.H. (Happiness in Habaneros) :confused:;)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my Jet Boat in 1988 to fish the very shallow Tittabawassee River. Obviouslly one of the advantages to using the jet, is going safely across very shallow waters. But to do so, you have to be on plane. And I soon found out that going fast in this shallow water, was not very popular with the guys in regular boats that could not go fast. One guy who later caught up to me after I passed him (always at a safe distance) asked me if I had some Express mail I had to deliver. Thus Walleye Express was born. I have also recieved some other verbal ideas/suggestions from others who I've passed, but prefer not to put those supluratives on the side of any of my boats.:eek: :eek: :grin: