Because of work, weather, and kids, I have only been out for one real trip so far this year and that was in May, but I am planning on taking my wife out for a few hours tomorrow evening before picking up the kids and in-laws at dusk and watching the fireworks from the boat. I would appreciate any help on where to start and what to use. I know that the fishing has been tough but any help would be appreciated....I am really trying to get my wife "hooked" on fishing the big lake.

PMs are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Rav- I've been out of Muskegon a lot this season and let me just say its been tough. The best advice I can give you is fish the first bait you find and stay with it. The fish are moving day by day. We got them in 165 one day and 50 the next. The water is super cold due to that big north blow on Monday. The next best piece of advice I can give you is fish for coho and steelhead. There just is not enough big kings around to mess with. Fish high in the column. Top 40 fow has been best for me. 2.9-3.1 on the GPS seems to be the preferred speed. Thin fins, green dolphin, mixed veggies, and Kevorkian have been the best baits in standard size. Orange is the best color for coho. Orange jointed raps as well as orange X-raps have caught some coho as well. I went against this advice Monday and fished deep for kings and got skunked. I won't try for kings again until I catch one by accident fishing coho and steelhead. Good luck!

Rav- I've been out of Muskegon a lot this season and let me just say its been tough. The best advice I can give you is fish the first bait you find and stay with it. The fish are moving day by day. We got them in 165 one day and 50 the next. The water is super cold due to that big north blow on Monday. The next best piece of advice I can give you is fish for coho and steelhead. There just is not enough big kings around to mess with. Fish high in the column. Top 40 fow has been best for me. 2.9-3.1 on the GPS seems to be the preferred speed. Thin fins, green dolphin, mixed veggies, and Kevorkian have been the best baits in standard size. Orange is the best color for coho. Orange jointed raps as well as orange X-raps have caught some coho as well. I went against this advice Monday and fished deep for kings and got skunked. I won't try for kings again until I catch one by accident fishing coho and steelhead. Good luck!

the only thing i can add to this is try a 6 inch orange dodger with a small fly behind it..cohos been killing it

Jims theory worked well in grand haven last night as well. Everything seemed to be in shallow. And the fog popped up there last night too. Sure made having the radar nice.

Fishsniffer, tried the orange dodger and a orange fly no luck on that one. But it looked good!!