Planner boards for copper line?

I recently got my first copper setup 300' of 45 I was out the other day and my offshore planner board wouldn't pull my copper off to the side it just sat in the back of the boat. just wondering what everybody else is running....also I'm running 2 dipsys a side and i'm having problems with them separating i have them set at 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 they seem like they are running very close together any thoughts why?

I couldn't get my Church or Offshore board to pull my 300 copper so I bought the TX-44's from Church. They work great. On sale right now too at a place called Brets Place on the Bay.

www.brettsplaceonthebay.com

I think they are 29.99. Tackle Haven across form the DNR boat launch in Benton Harbor has them for 34.00 or something like that.

Kind of expensive but they do work.

Paul C.

the dipsys will appear as if they are running close as the distance they run to the side increases the further they go back. they are spread out further then you think just looks close at the surface.

I been running 2 divers per side for the last 10 years, and love it.

We use mag divers set to 1 on the inside (low) rods, and standard divers with mag rings on the outside (high) rods.

The inside mag divers have a bigger weight to help them pull down faster.

I believe the mag rings on the outside divers help them to pull out.

This set up will run about 1' down for every 2' out on the inside, and 1' down for every 3' out on the outside.

My Off Shore boards pull a 300 copper pretty good not as good as my Z Boards or my TX 44's but still do a nice job. They are setup like the SST boards the rear clip is moved to the back of the board 3/4 in up from the bottom straight in from the rear not on the side of the board. On my Salmon setups they are set not to release with a OR 16 on the front and a snap swivel on the rear. My Steelhead setups are set to release with a OR 16 on the rear and a OR 19 on the front.

The walleye boards are fine with the weight pushed all the way forward...for 32lb copper and short 45lb segments. With spoons..

If you put a 300+ segment or a flasher on, it will drag waay back.. You can't appreciate how far back it actually does drag until you run the same setup on a TX 44 or Ziggy Board and watch them pull the same rig way far up to the side. It is a HUGE difference.

We have noticed as well that in any kind of current or headwind, even with a spoon or light copper, the walleye boards drag way back, moreso than they do on flat calm seas.

We have been using the original Ziggy boards (green ones) quite a bit lately and they are stellar. Hard to find though...only in Sheboygan at a couple tackle shops.

No way a walleye board pulls 60lb copper either, without it dragging straight behind the boat.

I threw my z boards away and don't run the tx 44 boards I own. The z boards false release too much and the tx 44 boards are too hard to reel in with a big fish on. I run 5 boards on each side. Weight all the way forward on a walleye board will pull a 600 copper fine. I run3 dipseys on each side. Only time they ever tangle is if someone lets one out too fast. I do run a mag diver on inside rod. Number ones on 2nd and 3rd rods. I run rings only if I need depth. I do have 8 foot,9 foot and 10 foot rods and the holders are in a 4 foot long track. I use great lakes holders and have each rod at a slightly differrant angle.

• 4 weeks later...