Torpedo swivel tip on a Talora???

Has anyone put the new Torpedo swivel tip on their Talora roller guide wire rods and if so are you satisfied. The torpedo version is about half the price of Aftco swivel tips.

For those with swivel tips: do you have less curl vs standard tips?

Thanks,

Grey Beard

Has anyone put the new Torpedo swivel tip on their Talora roller guide wire rods and if so are you satisfied. The torpedo version is about half the price of Aftco swivel tips.

For those with swivel tips: do you have less curl vs standard tips?

Thanks,

Grey Beard

I have them on my blue diamond rods and like them. They have an extra guide ring inside that makes sure the line stays on the roller I personally like them better than the aftcos. AS far as line curling I don't think there is a way to stop that

...For those with swivel tips: do you have less curl vs standard tips?

Thanks,

Grey Beard

I have 2 of the 9' Talora roller with the swivel tips. Previously I had 7' and 8' with the fixed roller tips. I don't get as much curl since going to the swivel tip rods, but I also pay more attention to keeping the wire taught when stored.

If you're upgrading from non-swivel tip rods, I would not be afraid of going with the Torpedo tips. It is a quality product and you might as well save some money. I would think that changing the tip will void the limited lifetime warranty on the Talora though so keep the original tip to put back on if you ever need to send the rod in. I have 16 Talora rods and over the years I have returned 3 different rods to Shimano due to issues -- have received a new rod back in about a week each time. Worth the slightly higher cost of the Talora to me.

I would also be very careful in removing the exiting roller tip as to not damage the rod blank. I'd also confirm that the glue used on the Torpedo Tip will allow the tip to be easily removed. Typically I use a cool flame to heat the guide/tip and melt the glue. That has always been with a metal guide/tip though. I don't know what the Torpedo Tip is made of.

The torpedo tip is currently the best roller tip I know of and is what I recommend to my customers. I just wish they (or any company for that matter) offered a swivel roller tip for my spiral wrapped rods. The guides mounted to the swiveling frame keep your wire centered on the roller very nicely.

They do not, however, seem to reduce wire coiling any appreciable amount over a traditional roller tip with a similar roller size.

Talora's are a pretty good rod to use them on. Just make sure as noted above to keep your old tip in case you have to return the rod for repair. All you need is traditional tip adhesive or standard strength 5-minute epoxy. Use the side of a flame to remove your old tip. Shave some very thin strips of tip adhesive and fit them in the Torpedo's tube, heat the tube until the adhesive melts, melt and apply some more to the rod tip, then fit together centering the range of movement making sure the tip swivels equally left and right. Reheat if necessary if it sets up before you get it adjusted properly.