Gps problem

I have a lowrance LMS-522 on a 22 foot seaswirl with a hardtop .The unit is mounted on my dash and during the day it bounces in and out of reception a lot.Is this due to being under the hard top or needs updating or just junk? Anyone ever have this problem:confused:

I have a similar problem with my lowrance,I was told that the antenna has to be above any aluminum railing;bow rail,windshield framing,etc.He gave me the numbers on how much signal is lost being below the "rail" but I forgot them.it was significant.I am looking at building some sort of removable short mast that I can attach my external antenna to,and hopefully that will work.

If you go with a external antenna, do not buy a Lowrance, very unreliable. You can go with any NMEA antenna like Garmin, Maretron, Raymarine, ect. As long as its NMEA it will network.

As far as a new one, what kind of budget or screen size are you looking at?

If you go with a external antenna, do not buy a Lowrance, very unreliable. You can go with any NMEA antenna like Garmin, Maretron, Raymarine, ect. As long as its NMEA it will network.

As far as a new one, what kind of budget or screen size are you looking at?

just to clarify

the Lowrance gps receiver itself is very unreliable not nessesarily the lowrance unit itself

if its a NMEA 2000 unit you can use other manufacturers gps receivers

I have received a couple calls about this and wanted to post to claify

and thank you the guys who called for pricing remember to check our on line store for quarterly specials and sales

http://calumetmarine.3dcartstores.com/

I'm extremely happy with my Garmin 740S from Calumet Marine and it works under an aluminum hard top.

He's exactly right at under $1000 you can not buy a better unit. 7 inch touchscreen with a 1000watt sonar and the best gps on the market regardless of price, one very strong unit.

Just one tip, do not buy the 300 watt transducer get at least the 600 watt p66 to take full advantage of the sonar.

just to clarify

the Lowrance gps receiver itself is very unreliable not nessesarily the lowrance unit itself

if its a NMEA 2000 unit you can use other manufacturers gps receivers

I have received a couple calls about this and wanted to post to claify

and thank you the guys who called for pricing remember to check our on line store for quarterly specials and sales

http://calumetmarine.3dcartstores.com/

^^^^ What he said is what I meant, just the Lowrance external GPS antennas the HDS units have been pretty good for reliability.

He's exactly right at under $1000 you can not buy a better unit. 7 inch touchscreen with a 1000watt sonar and the best gps on the market regardless of price, one very strong unit.

Just one tip, do not buy the 300 watt transducer get at least the 600 watt p66 to take full advantage of the sonar.

I did what Ryan suggested with the P66...:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Unbelievable difference in size of transducers from what I had..:thumb: