Downrigger cannonball

Good question... Well i use 8lbs balls; but will be buying 10# balls in the near future. Last night i was trying to go down to 100ft and my cables looked like they were on a 45deg angle...haha need more weight...I was even thinking about buying a mold to make my own then plasti-dip them.

I have a number of them and my favorite as of late is the standard rounds with short tails. 15lb. I run them all all three riggers down to 250ft and I have not yet had a tangle (knock on wood). I used the think I needed to run pancakes with the tail bent out a little to keep them out - that works good when you are in 65fow, but if you start getting them down to the bottom to fish lakers in 100+ you start messing with your dipsey spread.

I run 10# balls, I have tried the pancakes, as mark stated anything over 60-65 feet down and they like to swim. after wrapping them together a couple times in strong down current they went up for sale. which reminds me they never sold.

I also have a set of 15# balls, but my old cannons told me to kiss off - I'm not lifting that.

10# finned TruTrac balls are the lightest I run. Then I have 12# balls and Sharks and 15# balls and a 16# Torpedo Diver.

What weights you should/can use are dictated by what your downrigger will support and how deep you want to go. Most riggers of the last 15 years can handle 12# with no problem. Before using the heavier weights make sure the downrigger is rated to handle it. It may be able to lift it slower than a lighter one but this could also cause your rigger's electric motor to wear prematurely.

When the target depths are 80' or less and the currents are not too bad, I use the 10's and 12's. If currents are strong I go more with the Sharks to try to reduce side angle/drift.

The Torpedo Diver is what I use on my FishHawk X4 probe rigger with the 15#ers on the non-probe riggers when fishing 80' or deeper. I have Vector and Big Jon Brute riggers that can handle the 15# and heavier balls.

I have to say I have used them all and now im using 13 lb pancake weights but I have never tried bending them and I only run 2 riggers. but I have never had a problem even when I run 10 lb pancake weights. I just thought if I don't get that much blow back with 10 lb what will the 13 lb weights do. at 60 or 70 ft I don't even notice the blow back with the 13 lb pancake weights. I,ll never go back to any other weight.

sherman

I tried the pancake weights and found that in cross currents they really wandered. Even had shallower out/down rigger cross a stern rigger. Maybe I was doing something wrong but never had that issue with round or torpedo shaped weights.

A buddy swears by the heavier Stinger brand pancakes which are shaped differently overall than the other round pancake types.

I believe the most important thing to consider is the "biting depths" and "blow-back" factor. Let's face it, I will run a downrigger from 25' to 225' in different circumstances. Depends on the water temps., marks of the graph, and of course, what's working. I have older Tru-track 14#'s on most of the riggers, and then 12#'s on the others, for a total of 6 riggers. The newer thought on this is to only have 3 riggers, and just put on anything that runs. That's a sad plan, imho. Many seasons the majority of fish lately have come very deep, and for that, you need extra long cable, and a weight that will prove more productive. The heavier the ball, the more straight it runs, for sure, jmo. In some parts of Fla. Ocean, the guys run 20# balls, to get deep, also to control the sway on various conditions.

I tried the pancake weights and found that in cross currents they really wandered. Even had shallower out/down rigger cross a stern rigger. Maybe I was doing something wrong but never had that issue with round or torpedo shaped weights.

Had very similar issues my pancakes went on craigs list after one weekend fishing the point in ludington

I've had 2 of the pancake weights with the bendable fins for years. Have them set at 5 degrees and you about have to in order to keep them apart. Yes they have a lot of action and aren't really for deep fishing. I only run 2 riggers so that helps. No they're not for all conditions and not for everybody. I like the action they impart to my lures.

If I'm fishing deep I break out the round balls. I'd really like to get a set of Jim Bobs and they're on my want list.