Tackle Names

I really appreciate all the detailed fishing reports. My question is how do you keep track of all the names of all the different stuff you use. I have my favorites that I use but after that about all I can do is tell you the brand and description of the attractor or spoon or fly or what ever I'm pulling.

It can be hard at times. Most tackle has some kind of description right on it now. I have taken pictures of certain flies or flashers and saved them to a folder on my computer. Name the file something like "pk charlies special" and you will know what to look for if you need to duplicate or replace it.

For someone just getting started it can be overwhelming. Once certain lures start catching fish you remember the names of them. As you build up the variety you know the names of the good ones through repetition. The nice thing is that after a while you only add a few news ones per year so it is easier to remember them along with all of the others.

Kind of like the first day of work where you meet 30 people but only remember the names of the 3-4 people you work with directly. As you do more things the rest of the people get reintroduced and soon you know everyone's name. When the new guy gets hired it isn't a big deal to remember his name since it is just one more to add to the mix.

Yeah first you have to learn the lingo for the divers, in-line boards, rods ...etc

Then the bait names are a challenge too. To me if you stick to the manufactures names at least you should be able to buy like in kind baits but seems like every port has a different name for what's hot. Very confusing if you're not in that clique.

So pictures are the best way to identify baits.

We run one brand only to keep things in line(stinger spoons), or keep a catalog of the major brands to see what other people are using.

There u have it. I run several brands of spoons but have catalogs of their color and description. Recently got some BLL spoons and am lovin them. Tequila Sunrise has been really hot.

I picked up the catalogs for Dream Weaver, Stinger, Warior, And Silver Streak. With the exception of Moon Shine, North Ports and Pro King, that covers most of the spoons that I have.

As metioned before... catch a fish on a bait and you will remember the name.

In Ludville, Ludington, it's the Moonshine, Yeck, and Dreamweaver that predominate. NK's too. I see ports where our spoon favs. don't work that good, sad. Some Silver Steaks/Stingers are great in one port, and negative in another. Every season and particular spoon works well and not so well depending on the water temps., and water conditions/circumstances/underwater conditions as well, it varies from year to year. So, having said all that stuff, good luck, and keep reporting what works best year to year in that particular water/port for you. It's become more of a science, than a predictable status-quo of late imho. I stay with Moonshines, and DW's mostly, as they are most productive in my home port. They also seem to attract the Biggest Fish too, jmo. Oh, and yes, I should mention, the Dolphin and Mongolian Beefs, have been a stong-hold here for years, along with Monkey Puke, and also herring rigs.

In my rookie years I made a spread sheet using Excel. I get a picture of the spoon or fly on the internet and put that picture into a spread sheet next to the name. Over the years you realize you only need a few different spoons and flies. The only spoons you need are green dolphin, blue dolphin, bloody nose, and double orange crush. Those are the spoons that day after day produce the most fish. I think most people will agree. Any brand works. I have tried all and nothing out produces the other. The flies you need are picklesunshine and any noseeam. I only run 6 rods on my boat so you can see I don't need a lot of gear this fills my rods up. If you have more than 6 rods you could try carmel dolphin, a hello darlin and a black spoon with green ribbon. Those are other spoons that also have produced for me. I just gave you what it took me 2 years to learn. I hope this helps you. I enjoy sharing.

Brian is pretty correct with his small amount of gear theory. I have 100 spoons but every trip I grab the 10 I will probably run before hand and put them in a cup holder in the back of the boat. Even then 4 of them will likely see the water.

At this point I basically run the same fly on over half of my rigs.

Gotta have some backups on board but when you find something that works on your boat and your port letr rip.

• 3 weeks later...