I have been wondering about the dive curve on Dipseys.

According to the dive charts a #1 dipsey set to 3 has a max depth of 50' with 142' of line out. I see and hear guys running line out to 240 and farther. To me, once the diver reaches that apex and you let more line out it will begin to run shallower. Are you doing this to get it away from the boat or is there more to it that I am not aware of?

Ironically, It's been a hot setup in my boat to run it at 142' out with a flasher fly running @ 2.5. I know it is running very close to 40' - 45'. and can place more lines in this zone. By letting it out farther it may catch fish, but I have no idea where it is in the column. Any thoughts on this?

Yes they have a max.... In the past my high divers have been the walker 107's on setting 3. I've always figured they had a max depth of 50 ft no matter how much line you had out (300 being my max). This year I took the weights of the 107's and put them on a 124 disc. I think I get a bit more depth out of them... not exactly sure how much yet, but they definately dig way deeper.

The 124's with the big weight on them had no problem hitting 120+ ft down. It depends on your speed. Set on 1 I figure a 2:1 ratio. I have caught fish on them 300+ back when the fish are deep.

The last 3-4 years dipseys have been our hottest setups. If we can get them dialed in, its typically a great trip.

The dive chart from luhr Jensen i believe tells u the depth if u are running 20 pound mono at 2.5 mph. It all depends on what u are running for line. Mono stretches and drags in the water more than braid or a wire diver. I run wire on all four of my divers and I know I can get a small diver with the small ring to dive to over 75 feet on the 3 setting. My low wire diver on the 1 1/2 setting will go over 100 ft deep. Like I said it depends on the line u use for your dipsys. I like wire. No stretch, less drag in the water. Hope this helps

Hey Matt, I like the way you analyze and think. Yes, it very much depends on the line, speed, the type of diver used, your lure, and even the current down below that day, of course, and much more. How deep these lures or flies, with weight, bigger divers and rings, the super rings I may mention, will produce in depth. It is totally a science as to what you can expect in a slide/regular diver to produce. The mfr. can guess based on theory and some tests, but the end evaluation always depends on the experience of the capt. that is using it. The new X-4 Fish Hawk device attached to the line can identify where you really are. Just fyi.

As Ed mentioned above, it also depends on the lure size and current. Best way to find out is using them. I hated dipsys when I first started using them. Now after five years experience with them I find they catch most of the fish.

I use number 1 dipsys with mag rings and have bounced bottom at almost 100' but after 350 back they start pulling on my rods more then i like, and i usually have trouble getting them to release right. also i keep mine on a 1.5 setting.

Thanks for the chart Jonas as well as all the informative input from all of you.

I have had great results using Dipseys. I use mag's and #1's most of the time and just recently purchased a pair of Diver Digger weights from John King. I understand the program very well. What I am trying to dig up is why you would send a diver considerably beyond it's maximum diving depth. I think of them like a crankbait. They will dive to their max depth with a specific amount of line out. When you send more line out they will raise up due to the angle of attack no matter what type of line you are using.

I guess my example would be why you would run a #1 Lure Jensen Dipsey with standard ring on #3 setting using braid out 240'.

Thanks again for your kind advice:thumb:

I had my divers out 240 ft in 65 ft of water and was bumping bottom. so I devided 65 by 24 and got 2.7 ft depth for each 10 ft of line out. so I had already tried it in 50 ft of water and it took 185 ft out to hit bottom in 50 ft of water which still comes out to 2.7 ft depth for each 10 ft of line out.

if you want to get deeper faster go to the lite bite slide diver and get the 4 oz weight that you can get for the lite bite slide diver. but I fish for walleye on erie and 65 ft is as deep as I want to fish and on a 4 setting I get the same depths as a dipsy set on 3. and I do get deeper than 50 ft. I just have to let out more line. now I have never fished out more than 240 ft. so I cant say what happens after that.

sherman