How much money do u collect for expenses

Just wondering how everyone goes about sharing the costs involved to go fishing. Obviously you have the gas expense but also launch and dockage, equipment like lures and harware that can be lost just to mention a few. How much do your friends help with this? I have some friends that will pay for all the gas and will buy a few lures for the boat. I also have friends that think splitting the gas is fair. I want to be fair but I dont want any free loadets. As you know, there are many unseen costs and a lot of work that goes into the maintenance of a boat. How much do you expect your regular fishing buddies to contribute?

No set number they all know it costs money and there is no way I will ever break even. With my current drive I have 40 bucks in gas just to get the boat to the dock figure 80 to 100 for boat gas then add in lost or broken gear. Insurance boat payments maintenance new lures line and tackle every year. It will spend most of the year sitting on the trailer this year and I am fine with that. most years I avg 40 to 50 trips this year I may do 10.

20 bucks a trip. Usually. Frankfort is a short run to the shelf so my main fishing buds usually slip me a ten. Plus I am only running a 125 mercury now not a big block ford in my old Thompson. Twenty a person is the norm tho. Just to help with the fuel plus a little extra.

I dont normally do this to people that go out with me but wish they would. I have and do when I went out on others boats. But in my opinion, the boat owner should have little to no expense on the average day trip. We as boat owners know the expense of big lake fishing but the average non boater doesn't. Therefore, i tend to slip in a few hints of the cost. I have no problem splitting cost evenly but take greatly appreciate for those that help out more than is considered the norm.

Most of the time the tow vehicle and boat fuel are divided up between those on the trip -- often/most of the time my "regular" guys will cover all of the fuel since I'm furnishing the boat and tow vehicle (part of the reason they have become my regular team). I'm the one with the Great Lakes boat and the other guys don't have much along the lines of big water tackle. The same thing applies though when we go bass fishing on one of the guy's Ranger or head up north for the weekend with the guy with the cabin.

If it is a multi day trip with lodging then it gets divide up the same way too.

Overall, I maintain the boat, trailer, Avalanche, tackle, registrations, insurance... I get some labor help from my friends for fixes and maintenance. It is good to have a group that know this isn't a cheap activity and cover the cost of trip expenses/consumables. When I lived closer to the lake costs were less in the sense that tow distance was negligible and boat fuel was the biggest cost (not really too much with the twin 4 strokes).

The general rule of thumb applies whether going fishing or trips to a ballgame or concert: Everyone covers their own food, ticket/license cost... and the rest of the cost of the trip are divided evenly among whoever is going (fuel, parking, lodging). This also keeps it legal with the DNR in that you're not running a charter (IE: no one is paying to to take them fishing).

All that I expect is help with gas. $20 is fine. I don't have a regular crew but most of the people who fish with me realize it isn't cheap. I don't expect anyone to cover tackle, boat payments, insurance etc. They didn't buy the boat, I did. It has gotten to the point where I just tell people to give me what they feel is fair. Most of them are my friends and we always spent time argueing, I always thought they gave to much. So now whatever they hand me I just put in my pocket and don't even count it. But all I expect is $20 and I tell that to everyone who goes with me. Oh, and kids always fish free.

For me, if I invite you to come along, I won't ask for anything in return since I was going to go out anyway. If they offer to contribute, I won't turn it down. I get in only about 8 trips per year, so my yearly expenses are not too high at all. Most of the people that tag along are regulars or family. Family is always free.

My question is did you buy your boat with the expectation that others would pay all of your costs to own and operate your boat or did you buy it for your own pleasure? With that I cover all the cost of owning my boat but most people who fish with me have enough common sense to at a minimun offer to help for fuel , IMO if you purchased a boat expecting everyone to cover all of your costs you either should get a captains license to make money to cover your costs or pass on ownership. A simple way to look at it is if you go on a trip with friends in your car do you expect them to pay all of your maintence cost for driving with you ? Just my 2 cents worth.

I like to keep the tank full, when we're done, we split it evenly. But in the end, as mentioned above, I never come out on top, or really look to. There are expenses that come with owning a boat that I absorb solely. It sure is nice when people are able to, and willing to pitch in. But, at the end of the day, if they can't help out I'll likely take them out anyway. Some of my buds that I fish with don't get out often, and are friends I don't get to see often, so lack of $$$$$ from them is not a deal breaker.....I just wanna fish man....:thumb:

All that I expect is help with gas. $20 is fine. I don't have a regular crew but most of the people who fish with me realize it isn't cheap. I don't expect anyone to cover tackle, boat payments, insurance etc. They didn't buy the boat, I did. It has gotten to the point where I just tell people to give me what they feel is fair. Most of them are my friends and we always spent time argueing, I always thought they gave to much. So now whatever they hand me I just put in my pocket and don't even count it. But all I expect is $20 and I tell that to everyone who goes with me. Oh, and kids always fish free.

Same here. Other boat owners I try to keep it simple and figure that trips on each others boats end up working out in the wash.

back when I use to make a lot of trips and had people go with me on the trip I took the cost of the trip and boat gas and split the cost with them. I never expected them to pay any of the boat or insurance or any upkeep on the boat. I bought it and use it any time I want. they only get to use it for the few hours were fishing. why should they pay for me to own a boat.

now if someone meets me at the water and fills an open seat I cant expect them to pay more than just there share of the boat gas and for bait. but if they want to pitch in a little extra I wont complain.

sherman

What I find is that my friends that understand the cost of running the boat typically help out a fair amount - and that is why they get invited back....the people that don't understand the gas costs typically throw in very little and are commonly one time fisherman on our boat. My close friends always help with gas money because they understand that we are taking on the "boat" costs. I've rarely had to ask for gas money...most people offer to help out.

I have owned boats for over 30 years....owning a boat gives the opportunity to go fish where you want and when you want. When I ask someone if they would like to go I don't expect them to pay, only to enjoy the trip. Several times I have been given or they have tried to give money but I just tell them it is not necessary. A couple of years ago a friend that I know from the port I fish out of had never been to Frankfort but was unemployed. I took him from the lower east side of the state up to Frankfort and spent 3 days there fishing, never asked him for a dime. He had a great time and we have been great friends since. Now we plan 1 - 2 trips a season over there and he insist on splitting the cost...which for these trips is fine..we now can do 2 trips for trips for the cost of one.

I guess what I am saying is I don't look for people to pay my way to fish on my own boat.

Let's be honest, what you bring to the table is directly related to your place on my invite list.

Cover my bill when I suck? Up you go.

Don't bitch when I ask you to fish lakers in a cold rain since I'm prefishing in June? Moving up the list.

Puke your guts out in a tournament but refuse my offer to leave fish to take you in? Way up the list.

Fish all morning with a spoon hanging out of your hand as we're on fish? Impressive.

Bill bob hook set two wire diver hits in a row and make no offer to get out of the Jeep when I stop at Gold Coast to get replacements? Hmm, I've got poor cell coverage.

Brag to your friends on the cell phone about how well you're doing. Well....

Tell me where to fish and what to run after I pulled a 2 hour limit the night before - well, you might watch me from the pier heads.

As I've gotten older and money isn't so tight, it's becoming more and more of what you bring, how well you help, and how much I enjoy your company.

I agree with Tufwrench, I own the boat go where I want when I want and appreciate the help of someone else going with me.Everyone who has went with me always offers, but after awhile they just give up because they know I will not take anything.but I do understand those that are running larger boats than mine, I'm only running a 18ft Lund with the 115 and a 5 horse kicker so my costs are not as high as some of yours. Rudey

I certainly don't expect people to chip in, but I also won't turn down donations for gas. Most people at least have a sense of how much gas costs so they will chip in something. I do enjoy taking people out on their first salmon trip though, so occasionally you'll get someone that just doesn't have a clue, which is ok. I will say though that people who I can count on to chip in usually get rewarded with the first invites. Tournaments are a bit of a different story though, anyone that wants a share of winnings has to pay a full share of entry fee and gas.

I'm very similar to Far Beyond Driven. I don't ask for money, but those that don't offer don't generally get invited back. The better the donation, the further up the list they go as long as I enjoy their company, etc. People usually donate $30-$50. If someone asks, I usually tell them $40.

This is a stickler for charter capts. and I have been on one side of the issue, and of course, for a long time, on the other. I think it all comes down to decency, and really, just common and real friendships sense. On the one hand, someone more fortunate, thru their life's education and experiences, jobs, and of course income, can negate charging some for the trip. While others, may want to ask for charitable contributions for gas and expenses, just because it's a reality and need for that particular person. I always think that whether you are a charter or fun-fisherman, you should cordially ask that a donation be made for your time and experience on the water if you are successful, otherwise, just a donation for gas and lost tackle if that applied. The law says you can't legally charge if you are not a capt.. I usually used to ask friends to buy a case or two of beer, and a bucket of chicken to offset the costs to me, and most agreed it was fair. Of course, we all shared that chicken and beer together, which is more fun yet, I think anyhow.

The truck and boat fuel tanks are full when we leave and I will fill back up when we get home. Usually about $70 for the truck and $20 for the boat. The cost of the launch pass, bait and gas we will split that evenly, it's the only way I can afford to fish every weekend. Most guys will throw in a few bucks over that. Some guys insist on paying for more of the expenses and or buy some tackle, that is not expected, but really appreciated. They are always welcome on my boat.

Wouldn't it be nice if gas was more like a buck and a half like it should be if it weren't for gov't meddling then cost wouldn't be as big an issue. In the small boat I still can fish quite cheap and its just plain nice to have someone along. The bigger one is expensive on gas and help with costs, well it does help as I only make 1/3rd of what I used to, But to me I like to have good people on board and I've sure met and fished with plenty around here on my boat and theirs. I'd rather pay all costs and spend 6 hours with good people then have someone give me 40 bucks and be a royal pain. One thing I see here is truck costs and I never really considered that but that is part of the expense as well. I plan on fishing even if its alone so good company and help I consider a bonus already.