Another Copper thread, but this time...

I have a budget for only (2) coppers. I'm thinking (1) 300', 45lb. and (1) 300', 32lb. I should have an average depth of 80' for the 45lb, and 60' for the 32lb, give or take a few feet for lure selection, underwater current, speed etc. What do you guys think? Good or bad choice?

Don't bother with the 45#. The 32# is so much more user friendly and forgiving, that it's not worth the small amount of depth. Take a look at the data Bloodrun did this spring. You will see the 30# ran very close to where the 45# did. A 300 32#, and a 250 32# will suite you fine.

I have a budget for only (2) coppers. I'm thinking (1) 300', 45lb. and (1) 300', 32lb. I should have an average depth of 80' for the 45lb, and 60' for the 32lb, give or take a few feet for lure selection, underwater current, speed etc. What do you guys think? Good or bad choice?

The 45lb and 32lb Blood Run, both run within 3-5 feet of one another all the way out to 600' of copper, regardless of trolling speed or lure selection. You would basically have both of those rods fishing within the same vertical section of the water column. If that is your goal, then you are good to go!

If you are looking to work different depths and know what your typical trolling speed is, you should check out the depth data chart on the Blood Run site and figure out which setups would get you where you need to be.

Good luck..they are producers!

Don't bother with the 45#. The 32# is so much more user friendly and forgiving, that it's not worth the small amount of depth. Take a look at the data Bloodrun did this spring. You will see the 30# ran very close to where the 45# did. A 300 32#, and a 250 32# will suite you fine.

I think that is the set-up I'm going to use. Thanks to the birth of my baby daughter, some of the monthly tackle money is now being dirverted to diapers, formula, toys, etc. So, right now I can only get (2) set-ups. Besides, with a smaller boat I can only run so many rods anyway.

On a side note, the wife did say that to be "safe" with the little one, I need a bigger boat, no argument from me!:grin:

Of course I bought a new 300 yd spool of the 45# at the Grand Rapids show. Got it spooled on a Tekota 800LC and a week later, Dave posted the test info off of the Profishient boats. Prior to that my own tests with 45# showed much deeper max depths achieved (lures hitting bottom) but I didn't have any 32#.

I'd go with the 32# if I was to do it over. The extra backing or extra copper would be nice. I would hope that the thinner diameter of the 32 would also make it easier to work with and yield smaller knots.

I'm with Ryan on this one is there depth are anywhere near similar I would gladly run the small diamter 32 to achieve for example 58 feet instead of 66. Trading the lack of depth for being able to double the amount of braid back I have would be a no brainer.

I was in the the "fish dont run with long coppers" bandwagon until I almost got spooled by a 22 lb racecar in cold water last weekend. Now I am having second thoughts.

Good chatter here as usual. I guess I shoudl just get a 32 and go test it out in shallow and see what it does for myself.

I have the 32 on 150, 225 and 300. The 300 has been very successful this year.

FYI- I was warned however by blood run that the 32lb has to be watched carefully for kinks. I fixed one before my most recent trip.

225 and a 300 are my favorite of 45lb Morgans Copper

That is my favorite too. I run Short cores for shorter presentations. The 300' copper is a real killer this time of the summer. It gets you down to the fish and away from the boat. A definite must. I would run 2 300' 45# coppers and make a couple of rods into dipsey rods for that in between presentation. If you have Lead core use it for the higher stuff, it costs a lot less and is forgiving.