Holland 6/3 AM Shakedown (Finally)

Sorry for the late report, it's been so long I forgot how to do it:) We launched shortly before 5am and with no info to go on planned on heading deep to find fish. While going through the channel there were alewives everywhere so we set up in front and made 2 quick passes with no takers. Pulled lines and headed northwest to 125' of water where we set back up. Started marking a few fish and heard the only other guy on the radio say he caught 2 out in 180' so we headed southwest. Had nothing going and had already missed the early bite when I went to change out a rigger and found a small, mostly dead king on the end of the line 70' down with a mag Moonshine RV Bloody Nose. Skunk out of the box! In 150' a high diver out 200' with a mag DW Purple Thunder fired and we boxed a small king. When we hit 185' and the fish had disappeared we turned back in just north of Saugatuck. In 145' a BW Mini Meat Rig on a 10" white double crush/glow Spinnie on a mag wire diver out 225' fired. My friend fought it for a few minutes and then it was gone. I as I was resetting it in 140' the rigger next to it with a DW UV Green Dolphin fired. I grabbed the rod and handed it to the same guy who had just lost the last fish and it felt like a nice fish. Took line out and he fought it back to about 50' from the boat when it got off. In 135' we started marking a lot of fish so we swung north. In front of the sliders the other mag diver out 200' w/ a 11" double pearl fish scale white paddle and BW Double Aqua fly started screaming. My friend grabbed the rod for the 3rd time as it screamed out to 350'. He fought it back to 225', then it pulled back out to 350'. He slowly worked it in for about 20 minutes and we netted a nice 18# king who had the front hook deep in his jaw and the rear hook behind the gill plate giving him extra fighting power. We had slowed down to fight the king and I hadn't sped back up yet when the meat rig fired again, this time with a 16 lb, 1 oz laker at the end of it. We boated that fish but got off course so we headed back in to the 130-145' depth where we marked the most fish. Just north of the piers I turned in and in 125' going east we hit a westbound fish that screamed out line for a good 200' before coming to the surface and jumping around and getting off. He hit the rigger UV Green Dolphin DW set 50' that we lost a fish on earlier. Spun back out toward our 135' depth we liked for the last hour with no hits. But while bringing in lines I found a 6# steelie on the end of a 2 color SWR 70' down with a mag Yeck Polish Blue Dolphin to end our day 5/8. No hits on the 2 300' copper setups we ran, or the full core or half core we also ran. All riggers and divers. The boat ran fine and everything worked so I was happy even though we didn't get a ton of fish. I even caught a fish on meat for the first time on my boat. I plan on heading out again next week.

Thats still a good trip, I'll be out Saturday & maybe Sunday, give me shout on the radio if you are out.

My 5 year anniversary is friday so I'll be with the wife this weekend. I have monday-thursday off next week so I'll be a weekday guy again. I look forward to all your reports from the weekend:)

Great job Nick...nice to see you got back out on the water.

If you need a hand mid week, you give me a call...my father sat at the boat almost all week this past week in Holland and I'm sure would have jumped a the chance to go fishing. Since he's retired he can do whatever....sounds nice huh.

Great job Nick...nice to see you got back out on the water.

If you need a hand mid week' date=' you give me a call...my father sat at the boat almost all week this past week in Holland and I'm sure would have jumped a the chance to go fishing. Since he's retired he can do whatever....sounds nice huh.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm jealous. I'll let you know if I need someone, thanks for the heads up.