Northern Lake huron Fishing

Hey I am new to the site. Fishing out of Manitoulin island. Just getting the big boat ready for the year. I Usually do not start fishing the big water until late june or July. What works for everyone this time of year? Temp, speed, depth, lure selection/size.

Ports of choice: Providence bay and Meldrum bay

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Im from Spanish which is just north of you Ron. I just started getting into downriging a few years ago so im a newbie when it comes to salmon/rainbow fishing and wouldnt mind learning a thing or two....

So far, i've been fishing in about 90ft of water with my riggers at arround 60ft with no luck in the West Bay/Claperton Island area... I mostly use Northern King lures and sometimes ill use smelts with a flasher...

I just dont know what the salmon are doing this time of year or where to find them....Last year i didnt start getting them until July..

Hey claude,

Everywhere is slow around here yet. Providence bay having some of the first good reports but the fish are still scattered due to the cold water temps. The area your fishing certainly will be a nice spot shortly, once the water warms more. The north side of claperton has a nice drop off which I have had success in july/early aug. Last year, I was there once in july. Fishing 120 fow found thermocline at 80 and went 4/4 in 2 hours. Biggest being a 13 pound Chinook.

Northern kings are certainly popular around here. Not My choice as I find the quality of the finishes doesn't last. I personally for spoons run warrior, northport nailer, stinger and moonshine. This time of year run smaller spoons trending to the mags as the season progresses. Smelt on the meat rig has brought some luck before. I have found they can be quite picky on how you cut the meat for the rig.

I spent as much time as possible fishing the straights in meldrum or the south shore of the island. Just seems to out produce the north.

hmmm...maybe ill have to check out the south side sometime.

I was downrigging on the north side of Claperton last weekend on my way back home from West Bay. I know the drop off you are reffering too....pretty well the whole north side. That will be a spot that i will returning too for sure.

How do you find the thermocline? look for bait fish on the finder? And how deep would you normally try this time of year?

Have you ever ventured further north of Claperton? I did pretty good on the north side of Darch last year...My avatar pic is actually on Darch Island (East side)...But havnt caught anything there so far this year...shouldnt be long before they start though

Ya the south side is good fishing. Fishing the straights between meldrum and cockburn area is traditionaly the best for july.

I use the fish hawk x4 temp probe on the rigger to get my temp readings going down. I have from time to time marked a thermocline on my fish finder. Usually with the sensitivity cranked and the temp change fairly extreme. Certainly marking fish and bait fish is still part of the game of finding your depth. However with readings at you ball you can be sure your fishing at the the right water temp.

I have never gone further than claperton in search of salmon. Just for pleasure rides to the benjamins croker etc. Darch north side does seem like a nice spot to fish though.

Hopefully things pick up soon. I'm getting anxious

• 1 month later...

Oakzer

I was in prov on the weekend as well, it is starting to get good. I was surprised with how much the temps changed after that blow. 53 degrees on surface in the harbour sunday. It brought the fish higher which is nice for set-up. The average size seems to be 10 pounds lately. I found Warrior- lemon ice to be my hot lure at 35 feet on the rigger. Whats working for you?

I have had luck with NK wonder bread @ 50' getting alot of pinks in SB Mouth.

I got a 12lb on a cheater at 20' with NK orange crush.

I only have a 16' Lund Rebel so I have to pick my days to get out...was very calm last week.

For me, the spoons that brought the most fish in my boat (which isnt alot..haha) are the watermelon NK's or a silver and gold williams...

I have to make it to Prov one of these days!!!

I run moonshine and have had varied results. To save on shipping cost haha...Williamsons up top sports in Mindemoya carry them.... if you haven't been there go! Best selection for the salmon fisherman in the north!

On the other hand Warrior's glow series and some northportnailers glow have been great for me.

In Prov lastnight Meat rigs with flashers were hot. Other than that slow bit for most

I've been in there a hundred times...never noticed moonshine.

I tried a flasher and smelt rig and it just tangles my other line...rigs not far enough apart I think? J plugs do the same thing.

I've been in there a hundred times...never noticed moonshine.

I tried a flasher and smelt rig and it just tangles my other line...rigs not far enough apart I think? J plugs do the same thing.

How much line do you let out before you connect to the release?? maybe you are letting too much line out?

usually 50-80'...not sure if thats too much? Launch right in Prov..very good.

I had quite a few knock offs this weekend...more than usual. Do you think going too fast would cause that..or just dull hooks? my gps was 3.3-3.9mph...I try to go by the angle on my cable though.

I normally troll at 2.1 to 2.8mph on GPS....You are clippin pretty good there. If you are using a flasher then i would guess that the weight of the flasher + the speeds that you are traveling causes them to release. I am no expert or anything, but i think thats a bit fast.

Try letting arround 20/25ft out before clipping to the release so that when you take sharp turns it wont tangle in the other lines. If you are fishing above 40ft or so, then yes, you are letting the right amount of line out because you want to be away from the sound of the boat. But bellow 40ft; you dont have to let so much line out...

what size balls do you use? If you use 8 pounders like i do, i bet you are loosing close to 20ft in depth traveling at those speeds when you're down 70ft or so... Because at the speeds that i troll, i loose arround 12ft (at least) when i am down to 70...

I use 8# balls...I've just been using spoons this year..no flashers..I have a feeling I'm too quick but the bigger boats around me seem to be about the same. This weekend I will try less line and slow it down a bit. I have my release set in the sweet spot..don't think it is pulling out? Getting alot of pinks in South Bay..maybe it is just a bit too quick?

Thanks