This weekend was the first real weekend I have got out to fish this year, School, work, life, and more school along with weather has kept me off the big lake for any back to back trips.

I wanted to pre fish Friday am for the WMFL, but the weather man decided he was not going to let that happen for the Scooby Snacks crew.

Saturday was soon upon us and I had to find a crew as most of my friends were either fishing their own boats or out of town. I took a green fisherman, a friend and his young son out with the intention of catching a few fish for his son and donating money to the winners of the WMFL.

After talking with friends it sounded like there were a couple options for fish so Friday night I had a plan. With my riders running late on Saturday morning we ran out of Holland Harbor and pulled up short of the area I intended to fish and I started to set lines… We trolled for a good hour without taking a hit. I was confident in the spread, but at that point with my lack of water time was starting to think I had made a mistake.. All of a sudden a quad. All 4 fish made it to the boat and the mark was set on the GPS. We circled all morning in that water picking away at fish.

Around 0930 we had a problem…. We had 5 nice fish and good portion of small fish. What to do what to do….. I pulled all the high spoons as the Coho would not leave them alone… We trolled till noon with only the Mags and meat out.

We fished till 1130 and picked away to 13 fish and we called it a day. I knew we had a fighters chance as we held around a 16 pound average for our 6 weighable fish.

Our best bite was spoons, but ALL of our bigger fish came on MEAT!

Saturday 13-19 or so... From the ball to the radio towers in 110-135

East/West troll

2.5-2.7

Sunday

I had the privilege of taking two vets fishing… I have known Adam, from flying hero’s for a few years. They are a fly fishing charity that caters to getting vets into fishing. (Check them out when you have time) When talking with Adam on the phone Saturday night, I explained we could use a tough skinned 3rd guy to fish with on Sunday. He told me he had just the guy and we met at my house at 0500 on Sunday morning. After launching and running down to my waypoints from Saturday, the spread was deployed and the BSing started. Putting a marine and a sailor in a boat together with someone who grew up in a military is not a good thing for children with small ears. None the less the name calling continued as we hooked a triple within 20 minutes. Adam’s Friend, went to town on a diver that started at 178 but was given to him at 300 plus with the Big SD and one VERY ANGRY FISH! In typical marine fashion he put his head down and went to work and was rewarded with a nice fish. The morning continued with a slow pick of fish. We landed our first 5 fish and were on our way, but just like that the fish spread out, shut down and we were hanging out in the sunshine. We managed 11 or 12 hits total for the day, capped with losing 4 of our last 6 fish. We called it a day and headed for home.

The interesting part of the day was I tried to catch a fish….(Normally I just hand rods off and watch people have fun) This was a mistake, the 250 copper takes off and 500-700 feet of line were gone in no time at all. This fish had a death with…My death… I finally got him turned but he decided to put on an Arial show, He must have got rolled up and I was dragging it sideways…. Needless to say Captain Dave lost his fish

Sunday 6-11 or 12

Same program as Saturday...

All in all A GREAT WEEKEND….

If you haven’t yet make time to take a vet or kid out fishing. The conversation and smiles of being out on the great Lake Michigan is worth every PENNY that it costs to fish. I think we sometimes forget as boat owners how special a big lake trip is to some people as we can go as much or as little as we want.

I am sure if I had a fully experienced crew we could have landed more of these fish, but I would not have had this weekend any other way.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

What worked?

100 Blood Run Copper 32# Stinger UV mixed Veggie

200 Blood Run Copper 32# SS Mag SS Lemonberry

250 Blood Run Copper 32# Mag SS Lemonberry

300 Blood Run Copper 32# Mag BLL Blue Dolphin

275 Blood Run Copper45# Mag BLL Scooby Snacks

300 Blood Run Copper45# BLL Kato

375 Blood Run Copper 45# BLL MI Rat

400 Blood Run Copper45# BLL Bottom Dweller or BLL Easter EGG

Braid Deeper Diver on 2 White Oil slick 8” SD w/ DW Purple Mirage meat rig back 178

Braid Deeper Diver on 2 White Crush 10” SD w/ DW Moo Moo Meat rig back 225

Rigger down 82 or 50 White Paddle BLL Proofster fly or BLL Electric Lemonade

Rigger down 47 Mag BLLElectric Lemonade

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

My daughter wakes up Saturday morning, looks at the shore, looks at me, looks at the shore, looks at the depth finder, sand says:

"pretty far out for this little boat, isn't it"

and promptly pulls the parka back over her head and goes back to sleep on the floor.

All and all a pretty good weekend if you could stay on the fish. Thanks for the details.