Back up to Whitehall for the summer and took the boat out for a short trip tonight that was almost a disaster. I was heading out from the pier n/w and in 75 fow running at 30 MPH I hit some stranded net on several small orange like milk cartons. I practically went through the windshield and the 175 outboard came right up out of the water. Must have just hopped right over some sort of rope or main net line. Lucky it didn't hurt anything. Never seen anything like that out on the lake in 12 years of fishing.

Ended up only catching 1 laker and missed another hit. Water is very cold up here still and the action is very slow compared to down around Port Sheldon area last week. Only a few other boats out there and nobody doing much of anything.

Hopefully they get rid of that net in 75 FOW, be very careful out there if your out of Whitehall.

Milk jugs???? :mad::mad: Well marked nets are hard enough to avoid. Not only do I hope it gets removed but whoever put it there needs to be identified then be prosecuted to the extent of laws/regulations on the books.

Glad to hear you and boat are okay.

I was out there Sunday Morning and saw them and investigated. They are Indian nets and are located in two sets near the wreck buoy. Four or 5 floats on both sets. Cant touch them by law. I personally want to see the Indian netting stopped but its up to our inept government who bows to everyone but American citizens. To avoid them stay straight west out of the Channel until you hit 85 feet before turning north. Someone is going to get into those in the dark and really have a mess. I'm glad we went straight out at 4:30 Sunday morning. I normally head northwest right out of the channel and fish in front of the twin Dunes. I marked the area out after my investigation and now have to hope they don't move them. These things should have lights on them for running boats at night. Talonz

I was out there Sunday Morning and saw them and investigated. They are Indian nets and are located in two sets near the wreck buoy. Four or 5 floats on both sets. Cant touch them by law. I personally want to see the Indian netting stopped but its up to our inept government who bows to everyone but American citizens. To avoid them stay straight west out of the Channel until you hit 85 feet before turning north. Someone is going to get into those in the dark and really have a mess. I'm glad we went straight out at 4:30 Sunday morning. I normally head northwest right out of the channel and fish in front of the twin Dunes. I marked the area out after my investigation and now have to hope they don't move them. These things should have lights on them for running boats at night. Talonz

My exact route out of the channel as well. My boat is not quite ready. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad you are OK . We were out there last night and saw those same bouys. They have no staffs on them and were tough to see. Kind of bugs me because a stick and a flag are not expensive. Oh well. Not trying to start a rant.

We ended up fishing 150-190 until late and then moved back into 120 following the fish in. We ended up 7 for 7, all kings. Mixed depths anywhere from 163 to 50 feet down an riggers, dipsys, and lead core. No particular pattern or depths other than that same band of water that has been working all month,

There is also a net in about 90' of water just south of the channel. I work with DNR law and Tribal law so I will be in touch with them tomorrow morning and try to get those nets pulled because I do not think they are being fished at the present time. I will also get the coordinates ASAP and post them on michigansteelheaders.org. Mods, if it not appropriate to mention MSSFA in this post feel free to delete it and advise me. I will also repost when I get a handle on how this situation will be handled. Thank you!

I posted the coordinates of the two sets to the northwest of the wall. I didnt go south so we need those marked as well. Those ropes are going to get someone before daylight or after dark. I can see it now a direct drive twin screw cabin cruiser taking out both props with several hundred feet of rope wound around them. Mike

Glad you are OK . We were out there last night and saw those same bouys. They have no staffs on them and were tough to see. Kind of bugs me because a stick and a flag are not expensive. Oh well. Not trying to start a rant.

We ended up fishing 150-190 until late and then moved back into 120 following the fish in. We ended up 7 for 7, all kings. Mixed depths anywhere from 163 to 50 feet down an riggers, dipsys, and lead core. No particular pattern or depths other than that same band of water that has been working all month,

The old Wreck buoy sits in 54 feet on the east edge of the perch hole and the flag is down in the water on that one. I looked it over close but don't know who takes care of that flag but if they read this they should get that one back up as well. Most us locals who fished off the White lake Channel know about the Perch hole and Wreck buoy. The Indian nets however are right on the line most guys take when heading out to fish off the twin dunes. These net sets are a menace and are going to cause some serious damage to someones boat. :mad:

Please contact the RAP line 1-800-292-7800 and ask for Cpl Steve Huff. We would like formal complaints filed and DNR Law may have additional questions to ask about these nets and their markings. These complaints go on record which is very important when working with the Tribal Law folks.

I was on plane heading in and they caught my eyes just in time avoided serious mess by slowing down and averting an accident , so you guys are catching fish deep?? Like past the 150s?? Let me know I hope to get out there this weekend if the weather holds