Copper

So after Profishent's tests this spring... I'm a believer that 35lb copper is better than the 45lb. Where do you draw the line and bump up to 60lb?

I'm thinking top 50 fow for 35lb and then anything below that would be 60lb.

I have 1000' ft of 45lb to use up before I have to purchase more, but I don't think I'll be buying the 45lb anymore.

Another thought on this whole copper/depth thing. If you know the fish are deeper than what your copper can get, it could be beneficial to just slow down so it sinks more and get the hits. Vice versa.... if you know the fish are above where your copper sets are at, speed up and the lures might get into the strike area. Based on where the fish are at in the water column a particular speed might work well, not because of the action, but because its putting your baits in the target area.

32# copper does have a slower sink rate then 45# and is more easily affected by current and speed. The heavier the copper the better it is at holding depth. My thoughts are

Short coppers (less then 200') = 32#

long coppers (+ 250') = 45#

60# copper is also a great choice for long coppers and sees its greatest advantages after 300'.

Soon we will be seeing some numbers on other speeds too which will give us a bettter understanding of how much speed affects the sink rates of our coppers.

The whole point of fishing copper is not depth specific, but rather column specific. Ie: on an average summer morning your going to be running shorter coppers, targeting out of temperature kings actively feeding. As the day progresses your going to lengthen your copper set ups for those fish who are now beginning to bottom down, or those that are now neutral mood fish. Don't scrap what works for you! If you like the user friendly 32#, use that. If you prefer the 45# use that! What we've done tho, is cut out 45# at our 400cu and are now running 60# as our400- 500-600 coppers. Think deeeeeep!