Greenhorn Fishing Blind

I am new to the big lakes and was hoping to get a regional primer from folks in the know regarding seasonal runs, conditional triggers and suggested set ups. Perhaps a good oppurtunity for folks to compare notes. Keep in mind I am speaking from Grand Haven and vacinity, bank/ pier fishing only. (need to get my feet wet before I jump into buying a big water boat) Please see questions below;

1. What seasonal runs can be expected and generally what months are prime?

2. When (season/ time of day) is pier fishing for Salmon/ trout most productive?

3. Is Small mouth/ Walleye/ Musky fishing in the Lower Grand generally worthwhile?

I think that is a good start. Folks on this Forum have been most friendly and helpful and I am much obliged!

Sore Some Jaws!

For me, the prime months are late Feb, dependent on how long winter lasts, March is prime and into early April depends on how fast it warms up. We fish for browns, steelhead and whitefish then. I think the best pier fishing is when there is still ice on the pier. You need steelhead spawn for the best action in these months.

Some guys will chase walleye around the piers at night in April and May casting crank baits. Farther south at St Joe, there is a good summer run steelhead fishing in June and July. You want to hit that pier after a day or two of good east wind. Guy cast spoons and fish shrimp on the bottom and off bobbers. You might get a few strays off Grand Haven.

You can get a pier salmon fishery in July to September. Again, east winds to roll over the lake and cool the water off is what it takes to bring them in close. The salmon fishery is very hit or miss. It is dependent on water temps and getting cool water in close. Most guys cast spoons and use glow spoons in the dark. You can sometimes find some perch around the piers in summer but they can be hit or miss too. Steelhead start to show back up in Oct and November. There can be a great whitefish bite in November. Single salmon eggs are best but some guys use jigging spoons but they snag a lot of fish. Good luck.

Thats good stuff Ed, many thanks to you.

Unfortunately, the wife told me we have to buy the house before we buy the boat so I am still pier trodding and listening to Grand Haven's promising youth recite poetry and play "emo" guitar to the sunset under the lighthouse. It is a wacky kind of fishing compared to the spillways and small streams of Western PA and Ohio but I will figure it out. ..shrimp... second guy to tell me that around here. I would have never thought of that.

Thanks again

ed sais it all buy a cast netand just watch the water temps any time the big lake rolls over there is usally some fish aroun did alright of gh pier sat going 2 for 8 king about 15to 18 pounds and a coho lost a few other those were on alwives today was alittle slower in summer if the water gets to i like at least 60 the summer runs usally show up and yes bring some shrimp i do alot of night fishing just use some glow sticks on your rod also a varity of glow spoons they really like em at times you can look at the web cam on the gh steelheaders site watch the pier boats close and people fishing usally means some fish around plus they have water temps very helpful saves me some gas to find out good luck to and welcome

Grand Haven gets a lot of skams. In fact, last summer GH out fished St. Joe overall from what I heard, especially in June. My luck as I've fished GH a lot for them the previous 5 years and then lived behind the beach in St. Joe last summer and could walk out to the pier every night if I wanted to. I definitely say St. Joe traditionally is better but those fish go everywhere! Also you can count on kings in May for about a two week period when the bait shows up but it can be hit or miss even then. Lastly, most say east winds to blow out the warm water and let the cold stuff roll in close but I think N, NW, and NE are better and they happen more often. As a bonus a lot of times they come with a storm or cloud cover which usually makes the fishing that much better.

Oh and shrimp....cooked shrimp. Good luck!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...