One More Setup

Now that i have my coppers I want to add a wire diver into my rigs. If anyone can recommend a good combo package it would be greatly appreciated. Or atleast the right wire rod that will last and work right.

Thanks in advance,

Grizzly

I have my wire outfits setup with 1,000' of 30# with no backing. It fills a "30" series reel nearly perfectly. In addition to having the capacity for the line you want a reel with a good drag for diver use. These reels fit both criteria: Daiwa SG47LCA or Saltist STTLW30HW-C, Shimano Tekota 600LC, Tica SeaSpirit SS348LC, or Okuma Convector CV30L or CV30LX.

As for rods, the length really depends on your boat's configuration but I much prefer wire . On my boat I have 9' Shimano Talora roller/wire rods (TLA90MRG2) because I need the extra length to clear my outdown downriggers. If I could run shorter, I would as I prefer to play the fish on a 7' or 8' outfit. Yes you can use a "regular" diver rod and put a Twilli Tip or a Torpedo Diver roller tip on it, but reeling in with a roller rod is much easier. I then have 10' rods for my braid diver rods.

I agree with Highpointdf on the Talora roller rods. If you can swing the cost I would go with the them and if you can, go with a model with the swivel roller tip (MRG in the model number). The advantage of the swivel tip is that you can lock the rod into the gimbal of the rod holder so the reel is on top of the rod and the tip will swivel to have the wire running off the roller at the correct angle. With the non swivel tips you may have the wire running off the tip and not be on the roller depending on the angle of the rod. The Daiwa Heartland roller rod would be my second choice and the Okuma Blue Diamond roller in third. The Taloras are very well made with quality components and have a lifetime warranty (which really does work -- I have had two regular guide Taloras replaced by Shimano due to an eye insert falling out). The overall weight of the Talora is significantly less than the other roller rods too (which is really nice 15 minutes into fighting a 20# King on wire :))

I agrer with the last two posts about how grest the talora roller rods are! Im not sure what your budget is, but the talora rollers are quite expensive. For that reason I use regular 8'6" medium-heavy shimano taloraa with twirly tips. This setup is much more economical. Have used this setup for two seasons with no issues.

I think the shimano taloras are your answer, just depends on your budget whether you go with rollers or twirly tips.

Either way, good luck fishing!

I can't afford the nice roller rods so I went with Okuma Classic Pro dipsey rods and put twillit tips on them. So far the eyes haven't grooved and it's been 2 year so of pretty heavy use. You can find those rods for 25 to 29 on the right sales at times.

Oh, and they're 9' rods since I have to get around my out and downs and I run 10' braids behind the wire rods.

By far the hottest setup in the boat last year.

I absolutely love my Okuma Blue diamond roller rods.

I have 8'6" and 10' models.

I like the 10' models because they get good bend in the tip to mid rod range.

The 8'6" models seem like they bend (curve) from tip to grip when going the right speed.

Just looks like they are going to break in half.

Like the others have said, it depends on your budget. I ran Daiwa Heartland dipsey rods with Twilli tips for a few years and had no issues. Then I tried the Torpedo Tips and liked them a lot more than the Twilli Tips. There is a lot of resistance from the Twilli's that you don't get from a roller tip. I like running short rods so last year I switched to 7' Shimano Talora roller rods. They are my favorite so far. If you get a roller rod get a good one. The cheap ones have a lot of play in the rollers which allows the wire to jump off, get caught and break. I know from personal experience with a cheap rod. As far as reels you want one with a good drag. I ran Daiwa Sealines and liked them once I added the larger handles. I also ran an Okuma Convector one year and while I like my Convectors for leadcore and copper the drag seemed a little sticky for the wire. I am running Shimano Tekota's now and I really like them. I have heard really good things about the Daiwa Saltist reels but haven't run them personally. I haven't seen anyone talk about the wire itself. I have run Malin 7 strand, Torpedo 7 strand and I'm running Torpedo 19 strand right now. I haven't had any issues with any of them and don't have a preference. They were all fine. I like to use a full 1000' spool on a reel with no backing. You want the wire on tight so most guys put it on and then let it back out on the water with a 1 lb ball to make it tight. I use a different approach. I have a large field behind the house so I tie on a swivel and snap a 1 lb lead ball on it. Then I walk 1000' out in the field and drop the ball, unspooling the line as I go back. Then I tie it on to the spool of the reel and reel it in. My wife makes fun of me every time but it's effective. Good luck, wire is my favorite setup to catch fish on, and it's very effective.

As usual you folks always point me in the right direction. Re rigging my boat took some of my funds away as well as adding another 150 and 300 copper to my rig. But I am going to have a setup its just a question of how bad of a beating i want to take from my wife. I will need a longer rod to get out and around my riggers so that is an easy decision. But to everyone who replied i want to say thanks again.

Grizzly.

I have taloras with swivel tips. I have fished taloras with out swivel tips. The swivel tips are a pricey addition to a great rod. But if you need longer than 8 foot its your only option. I run mag divers and have never had a problem with talora rods. Before I decided to spend the buck I broke 4 okuma blue diamond rods. I would suggest you save money by buying one rod. Eat the expense and be done. Shimano rods have a lifetime warranty that I doubt you will use. Convector reels are ok. I prefer the smoother tekotas though.

Well,

I went with the rod and reel I could afford. Ended up with the 10' Okuma roller rod with the okuma 45 convector reel. Spools with 30lb AFW wire with mono backing. It was all I could afford at this point. I look forward to my first fish on wire this year as I have never fought one on a wire rod. Only copper and lead. Its my understanding you want to be patient and don't horse the fish due to a direct no stretch connection on the fish. This should prove to be interesting and I am sure were gonna mess up somehow. But any tips of advice is always welcomed.

Thanks,

Grizzly

Make sure drag is tigh enough to hook the fish but loose enough for it to take some. Also attach a dipsey and let most wire out and reel it in. This will tightly spool the wire. A 1lb ball will do same. Wire that isnt tightly spooled will pull into itself and bind. Wire dipseys are by far my favorite fish catching set up. If enough people on my boat I run 6 dipseys. 4 being wire.