UV Overload?

I stocked up on a wide variety of UV tackle this off season, spoons, spinnies, flies, etc...

My question is: Is it possible to have too much UV in the water?

My normal 2 man spread consists of 2 riggers w/2 sliders, 2 wire divers, and 2 coppers when fishing deep. 6 high lines when offshore for steelies.

Your thoughts and experiences are much appreciated.:thumb:

Dave

Probably yes.

I'm running more UV this season than last but don't have enough of it that I can run it on every line to know for certain.

More than once in the past I've changed a spread that was working ok only to have it go dead rather than better. I'm sure the same thing could happen with UV.

Dave

My thought on this is no. Unlike Glo UV only makes your colors brighter so the more you have down dose not hurt, unlike the mag glow you really don.t want to load ever rod , it will look like you are draging a christmas tree around under water to a fish,

I have sooooo much stuff on the boat that the only new rigs we are buying are UV this year. So far, it's working pretty good, but it's hard to say whether we are scaring fish or not. I kind of figured - why buy a color spoon similar to what we already have on board unless there is something special (UV) about it?

I'm new to great lakes fishing. However, it only makes sense to buy UV. More visibility in deeper water. Is black ever a popular color with Salmon? I fish muskies a lot and they really do pursue black combos more often. After all the other reflected colors are absorbed in the column a non UV lure would only appear black/grey/shadowy.

Black works fine and I doubt you can over load anything the fish are hitting however you could remove the setup that is bringing them in. More than on I care to count we have pulled a dead rod out of a active spread only to kill the whole spread. As such if the fish are hitting i don't change anything even if it means pulling one dead rod all day. We used to pull cowbells behind a empty cannon ball because fish would come in and look it over then hit one of the other lures.

... we have pulled a dead rod out of a active spread only to kill the whole spread. As such if the fish are hitting i don't change anything even if it means pulling one dead rod all day...

We had similar results Sunday..sort of.

I was pulling an old favorite, that was on fire two weeks ago, that didn't get sniffed all morning. Nothing else was working that well either. I finally gave in and swapped out the "old favorite" with a tried and true blue dolphin. That never got bit either but the rest of the spread came to life and we finished a short trip 9/11 losing 2 large steelhead during the acrobatics and boxing 4 kings, 4 coho and a steely. Nothing of any notable size except the ho's were on the heavy side of 4lbs.

The water at the harbor mouth was literally boiling with thousands of baitfish jumping as we passed by at 4:30 in the morning. That was a cool sight to see!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I am a long way from your waters here in Alaska but I (and fellow king/coho anglers) have found over the last few years that UV is definitely a plus. We don't do the deep thing as much as you guys do but in 60 plus foot water, I personally don't think you can have too much UV. We use the no drag/inline flashers the most here and the best one, by far is a black base with uv tape-- the "money" flasher has been chartreuse UV tape over the black base. My finding is that the shallower you go, unless it is really murky water, UV becomes less of a factor than just good contrasting colors...my 2 cents...