Dipsey rod length when running 4 rods?

Im changing tactics this year and going with a 3 rigger and 4 dipsey program instead of 4 riggers and 2 dipsey's. My question is, do you run a longer rod for the high diver and a shorter rod for low diver? I currently have 10' rods for dipseys. Should I go with 8'6" or 9' rods for low divers?

My inside divers are typically my wires and the high divers are braid. My wire divers are 9' Taloras and the braid are 10'. I would love to run shorter rods but my side downriggers have 5 booms and going shorter puts the low diver line too close for my comfort level.

I run 7' rods on the low divers and 9' rods on the high divers. Wire for lows and braid for highs. You might want to think about investing in some wire, Matt. When the fleas come in thick I put the braid rods away as they become mostly worthless. I run my riggers straight off the back of the boat and only run 2 of them. I swung them out to 45 or even 90 degrees sometimes when netting green fish and the divers are still outside them.

8' rods on the inside and 10' rods on the outs. We use 124 walkers on both.

The outs have the smaller weights, and are set to 2.5.

The insides have are the standard weights, set to 1.5.

The outs run about 1' down for every 3' out, and the insides run about 1' down for every 2' out.

BTW, all wire.

Edited by Nailer

Another vote for wire. I use the mag divers on the low wires and regular divers on the highs in summer. The mag divers get deeper and really separate from the highs. I use 2 regular divers in the spring.

Good replies by all. I would agree with a little longer on the high divers but the real separation will be in using different size dipsys or a lower number on the dial on the inside/deeper dipsys.

I used to run 4 all mono before I got any braid. I had 8'6 on the insides with mag dipsys on 2, then 10 footer on the outside with regular dipsy on 3.

Was typically not a hassle but I do remember a king running straight from the inside rod up and out and into the high diver and both were gone before I could blink once. Right about that time I starting looking into some good long line options on boards to cover the same depths since I was only running 6 rigs in my little boat anyways.

Good luck.

We've run the 9'6" and 10'6" Heartlands for years when running double divers. They space out very nicely. This year we bought Daiwa's roller rods @ 8'6" but we have yet to run any more than 2 divers. I've seen guys run all the same rod lengths when running multiple divers, but I'm not a fan of that.

• 1 month later...

The more important factor to consider than actual length of the rods, especially when mixing rands at different lengths is the distance to the point where the rod really begins to bend. I recommend you stick with the same action in a rod, for a diver medium-fast to fast action is best.

You can get into trouble when mixing actions. If you pair a fast action 8'6" diver rod with a moderate action 10' rod, they will both be bending about the same distance up the rod when loaded and the 10' rod will not be reaching out any further than the shorter rod.

Alternately, you can run the same length (and action) diver rods if you stagger the tip height of the rods. Most quality diver rod holders today have 15 degree vertical adjustments. Setting the outside diver parallel to the water and the inside diver one setting below this can negate the need for different length rods.

If you find running a diver in this manner unsettling, then by all means go the different length route. Just keep you diver rods as short as possible to minimize the lever effect the rod places on the angler.

Unless you have really long outdown rigger booms, many people can actually use a 7' fast action diver rod on the inside, and an 8' fast action diver rod on the outside (or 8'/9' with extra long outdown booms) and have a much more enjoyable fishing experience than using the moderate action 10'-10'6" rods on the market today.

Finally, consider running the new 19 strand wire on your inside divers. It is much more forgiving to rod guides than the old style 7 strand wire.

I run 7' rods on the low divers and 9' rods on the high divers. Wire for lows and braid for highs. You might want to think about investing in some wire, Matt. When the fleas come in thick I put the braid rods away as they become mostly worthless. I run my riggers straight off the back of the boat and only run 2 of them. I swung them out to 45 or even 90 degrees sometimes when netting green fish and the divers are still outside them.

Just a tip on braid when sea fleas are thick. Take a can of wd40 and spray down your braid before you leave the dock each morning and you will have very little problem with sea fleas sticking to the braid .All I run is braid and have learned this tip from a old friend and has worked great.