Big Jon Rigger Question

I bought 2 Pro Tournament riggers late last year and they have performed well...until this past weekend. One of the auto stop "actuators" that is on the rigger cable is getting hung up in the auto stop pulley block when sending it down.

This causes the cable to jump off the spool until I shut it off, and also presents a serious safety issue. While trying to put the cable back on the spool by hand, the actuator can come dislodged and let the cannonball free fall until all the slack wire is taken up. Just hope your fingers are clear when this happens. This happened three times Sunday. I've tried to figure out why this happens with the boat in my shop but of course it won't hang up when I want it to. I'm using the factory stop actuators. Any ideas or suggestions?

Dave

There could be a kink in the wire at the "stop". how did you attach the stop? If you use something that could bend your cable you may have kinked it causing it to form a kind of "bend", which could hang up...hmmmm... if this is the case, try simply typing some power pro on each side of the cable to "tie" in your autostop...just an idea.

I've never had this problem with my autostops, but I have had them slide on me when using different methods to try to keep them in place.

I've never had this problem with my autostops' date=' but I have had them slide on me when using different methods to try to keep them in place.[/quote']

FYI- I put a couple of the smaller Scotty bead stops on either side of the larger Big Jon auto stop bead along with a dab of super glue and they have never slipped again

I used the stops and crimps that came with the riggers. Not a slipping problem. No cable kinks. When it happened on the water I didn't try and diagnose the problem, just wanted to get the cable back on the spool without losing any fingers, and get back to fishing.

Does anyone use something other than the Big Jon stops and crimps?

Dave

As mentioned above, use a Scotty auto stop bead on each side of the Big Jon bead. The Scotty's are too small to activate the Big Jon switch.

I will second the scotty auto-stop beads I started with the supplied crimps and had a cable fail right at the crimp. Big-Jon told me to adjust the cable guide that houses the switch close the spool which makes the stop rock up to make the switch. I have also had problems with switches going bad from water but they just don't stop the rigger when they fail. I used silicone in the crack between the two halves of that switch housing that helped keep water out. Big Jon said they are looking for a waterproof micro switch to solve that. My riggers are the Brute model hope this helps.