Salmon and Salmon Only

I have yet to fish this year and won't until there are some kings or coho to be caught. I would rather box a skunk over a laker or a brown. Anyone can catch those nasty things right now, who cares. I'd wish they would stop stocking lakers. Greasy things taste like crap and they eat all the alewives, I don't care if they are native to the waters. Salmon and Salmon Only for me.

They taste great if you know how to cook them properly.

and for me fish is fish. Id take a laker or especially a brown over a skunk any day of the week.

Ah well, more fish for me.

I'll be the first to admit that I am a salmon snob. The large chunk of fat summer lakers that I've seen caught have all been done in deeper water off the bottom where gobies don't live. I will have plenty of fish for you guys to enjoy then, as the large majority of lakers never see the net, even though I don't care for them I won't kill one for the helluva it. Just got get them close enough to turn hooks and they are odd to grease up someone else's box.

Nothing but chins, hoes, and bows for meet the fliet knife.

Do a blind taste test with salmon or steelhead vs lakers. Prepare them identically, have your guests try them. I'll bet lakers win all or most of the time. I've done it multiple times and lakers win everytime. You will be surprised.

Thanks to all who praise the Lake Trout. Many ways to cook them and enjoy them. Wish we had the Lake Superior Lake trout down here, but what we have does very well in the pan, the grill, or the smoker.

I have yet to fish this year and won't until there are some kings or coho to be caught. I would rather box a skunk over a laker or a brown. Anyone can catch those nasty things right now, who cares. I'd wish they would stop stocking lakers. Greasy things taste like crap and they eat all the alewives, I don't care if they are native to the waters. Salmon and Salmon Only for me.

You may wish to educate yourself on the diet of lake trout they consume many more bait species than alewives.Look up some of the Sea Grant studies and you will find your statement to be alittle off course.

He is a bit off course on the alewives since the lake was so full of them you could just about walk on water and the Lake Trout died off because of them. Salmon were introduced to get rid of the Alewives so we could have native fish back. The new strain of lake trout is not as good as what we had back then, But compared to west coast Salmon our salmon taste like crap I would much rather eat Browns and Steelhead any day. And by the way they are also non native fish imported to replace the Grayling and Brooke trout we killed off when we timbered off most of the state.

I can respect being a salmon snob; to each his own. I used to be a trout snob (fly fishing only). Living in MI has opened up lots of opportunities!

The salmon and steelies are a heck of a lot more fun to catch! Just nothing compares to those devastating rigger and dipsy strikes or a copper that just screams out a bunch of backing! But I find the lake trout very edible off the smoker as well. Being relatively new to trolling in the great lakes (and not a MI native), I think many take the lake and what diversity it has for granted. Would have killed growing up as a kid in PA to have such easy access to catching a slug of lakers, kings, cohos or steelhead. Instead we had 14 inch walleye and 10 inch trout. My kids love seeing one of those big slobs hit the floor of the boat!

After all it is challenging to target and be successful on multiple species...if there were walleye, stripers, musky or some Wicked Tuna in Lake Michigan (hey...just sayin :D), I'd have to go figure that out just to satisfy my great curiosity and love for this big pond and its fishes!

I have tried lakers grilled and smoked. If I had to pick a favorite fish to eat, I'd take a northern frying in oil over anything. I wasn't trying to trash talk anyone, I just love a fat line screaming king, a thrashing coho on a mono board, or a flying rainbow over anything else. I think the laker issue is also a east / west thing. I don't think lakers are as popular here as they are over there.

Whatever the catch, good luck this season and hopefully warm weather and calm

seas are close.

• 2 weeks later...

Your narrow minded attitude is toxic to the healthy and diverse fishery of our lake.

Ask charter captains what they thought about lakers and steelies during the BKD crash. Ask Best Chance what they thought about browns when they won the Grand Haven tournament on them as nothing else was working for anyone.

I personally can go out and catch a trout of some kind on any day I can get a boat out on the lake, year round. If there were only kings and coho, my season would by from mid April to September.