Charter Boat Insurance

Guys/Gals,

My brother is starting a charter company and just purchased insurance through Markel, but it is junk--has a mandatory lay up from November 1 - April 1, plus costs a fortune (about $1,800 for a year, which is only 7 months because of the mandatory lay up).

I was wondering who you guys are using. I was doing a little research and found Seaworthy Insurance, which claims to be a Berkshire Hathaway company and touts no mandatory lay ups. Just wondering who you guys are using, also any claims experiences/rates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks, I found their website but it looks like they are just an insurance agency. Do you know the actual insurance company(ies) policies that they sell. Maybe they offer their own policies, if so, I would be interested in talking with them.

Thanks for the feedback.

I use Charter Lakes Ins. out of Grand Rapids. They supply most of the insurance for members of the Michigan Charter Boat Association and also many of the members of National association of Charterboat operators. Mine is about $850 for a 28' foot Cherokee. Most policies will have a layup period.

Eric

Gold Coast Charter Service, Inc.

Charter Lakes here also. As stated, nearly all charter insurance policies will have a layup period. I tried shopping around last summer due to an issue I had with my policy. My aunt is my insurance agent so I absolutely trust her. There were very few companies she found that would insure charter boats. And those that would wrote a policy that priced themselves way out of contention. She stated they just do not want to hold the liability associated with a charter operation. This included a company I held charter insurance with for 5 years but had to drop my policy while I was between boats.

I am constantly receiving emails from a "Hogan's Insurance Company." I have never inquired about them as I am content with Charter Lakes, but may be worth a shot for you.

Guys/Gals,

My brother is starting a charter company and just purchased insurance through Markel, but it is junk--has a mandatory lay up from November 1 - April 1, plus costs a fortune (about $1,800 for a year, which is only 7 months because of the mandatory lay up).

I was wondering who you guys are using. I was doing a little research and found Seaworthy Insurance, which claims to be a Berkshire Hathaway company and touts no mandatory lay ups. Just wondering who you guys are using, also any claims experiences/rates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

This company is Michigan based. I switched to this agent last year. No claims and hopefully never do, and I'm not sure if they do charters or not, but would guess they do. Bob is a fisherman and certainly is knowledgeable of the fishing industry. Here is a link to a short video:

Bob's Insurance Education Video - A Must View

This video will give you a better understanding on your boat insurance needs and coverages. It is definitely worth checking out.

http://youtu.be/YR4khS6AG4k

Here is another link with some more info:

http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148090

Good luck.

Paul C.

• 2 weeks later...