Lake Michigan headed towards Lake Hurons fate?

OK, I am a little scared by the lack of fish being caught so far on the big pond. The fishing was fantastic this time last year. I have read many of the fishing reports on here so far this year and I think only one report had some chrome caught. Also not many fish being reported on peoples graphs. It was said that Lake Huron had a great year of fishing the year before its collapse. I sure hope Lake Michigan does not have the same fate. I hope its just the crazy weather we had this spring. I have to say though, I know I am not in the norm when I say this, but EVERY salmon I caught last year had a empty stomach.

Think everyone is a little uneasy right now about the salmon "where abouts" in the big lake. Could be their out in deep water . I'm going in the water soon with my boat,guess I'll have to start looking if we don't see any spring salmon in May. We usually get an early run of 6 to 14 lb fish,kings, in mid to late May up our way.

Maybe I'll have to target "offshore" steelhead this year...and with the late spring and longer winter,there should be some "scumlines" form up in June/July off Ludington to Frankfort. Guess time will tell.

I fish lake Huron and well remember the collapse. Witnessed the loss of length weight and girth of the salmon. Down to the extreme of emancipation with ribs showing.

I have fished out of Holland for the last couple of years and have noticed similarities occurring with the Kings. The first year back on

lake Michigan saw nice fat salmon including a nice 27# one.

Last year the lack of length and girth was noticeable not only in the fish we caught but also in the pictures posted by others fishing lake Michigan.

Hopefully, the reduced plantings are in time. However the forage base of

alewife[age distribution] in lake Michigan does not bode well for king salmon.

The size and shape of salmon caught this year will give an indication of what

to expect in future years. IMHO.

A lot of captain have been talking about the same thing, a very well known captain went out to 350ft of water in Manistee and seen a pile of fish sitting right on bottom. We are back to a normal year, everyone wants every year to be like last year, it was not the norm though.

I think the coho's have not fired up down south because of the lack of bugs. They're generally on the surface feeding on all the black bugs in the waters.

It's just been too cool of a spring for any type of insect hatch. Once there is food up on the surface they will come to it.

With the warm up currently and this coming week, it should start firing up.

A lot of captain have been talking about the same thing, a very well known captain went out to 350ft of water in Manistee and seen a pile of fish sitting right on bottom. We are back to a normal year, everyone wants every year to be like last year, it was not the norm though.

You hit the nail on the head! This is a "typical" year. Last year was stupid early because of the warm weather. Two years ago we were a month behind on Ontario with the cold Winter/Spring we had.

You guys will be fine I'm sure, and if not Ontario is pumping out some slobs! Come get some! This past weekend in our first event there was a 26 and a 25 weighed in during big fish Friday along with a lot of 20-21s. Big fish of the tourney was 24.

Daffodils are just blooming this week. Tulips are coming up but no flower buds yet. Just a couple weeks later that what would be considered normal. Same for the fishing. Normally I have seen the first good action down toward St. Joe the week the daffodils bloom.

Main difference this year is that the big run off event was caused by lots of rain instead of snow melting. High muddy water is not unusual in early spring. All of the rain actually probably has sped things back up a bit after the colder March & April... rain is a lot warmer than melted snow.

Seems a lot later than "normal" because last year was so warm so early.

Everything is behind this year , up in Northern WI there are lakes that still have Ice on them , and the opener is this weekend. Last year with the unusually warm spring and the last year before cuts we had an abundance of fish and we also had a good crop of alewife 2 years earlier. How many of us remember how early those same fish turned up in harbors for spawning.

I think once the weather stabilizes it will all fall back in place . Last week the trees were all bare around here, now with a couple of days of warm weather they are all leafing out. I think spring will get here really quick, along with the fish , give it a week or 2.

you'll see.