Foam Under the Windshield

The windshield on my boat has an aluminum frame mounted to the fiberglass. Between the frame and fiberglass is a strip of foam that is disintegrating. Every time I wash it black specks rinse off this foam making a mess. I would like to remove the windshield and replace it. But I'm not sure what to replace it with. Any ideas? I only want to do it once because I think to remove the frame I have to take out all the glass and then unscrew the frame.

• 1 month later...

I just took the windshield off a mastercraft skiboat and these bolts and tape are whats under the aluminum extrusion. I don't know of another way so its going back as stock. I'm down here near elkhart indiana so I'm hoping to find the foam tape local.

here the links for example-

http://www.boatersland.com/tay1166.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-BOLT-BOAT-WINDSHIELD-MARINE-HOLD-DOWNS-SET-OF-36-BOLTS-DIRECT-REPLACEMENT-/281111142141?vxp=mtr

I contacted the manufacturer of my windshield (Taylor Made) and they sell a gasket to go under it. She said not every boat builder used theirs originally but it will work as a replacement. I just have to measure it and place an order.

The stuff we use does not break down and would not be black if it did it would be gray. Lots of companies use a foam tape under trim it does what you were describing. Another option would be putty tape. We use a lot of it as well it tends to get chalky with age though. Another option would be to just seal the seam with a good clear silicon.