Auto pilot confusion

Idigitt

The S1000 needs hydraulic steering. If you have that, then yes I think it should work.

Without hydraulic, the lowest cost solution is the Raymarine Sport Pilot X5 -- pretty basic unit which fits on the steering wheel shaft and turns the wheel to steer for you. Similar to the old SportPilot+ but much improved from all reports. http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=733

Never seen a OMC Cobra that was not power assist cable steering so no the 1000 won't work without spending a ton of money. I gave up and bought a X5 last year it works pretty good. Get the P70R controller and the X5 Core Pack not world class but under 2 grand and will drive your boat just fine.

i have also been thinking about going to an auto pilot. dont want to jack the thread but does anyone know anything about the raymarine spx-5r helm mount fixed pilot??

i have a 21 ft 1986 cobia, it has power steering. you can pm me if you have any info so we dont hijack this thread to much. thanks for any help.

sherman

Can the P70R be added to one of the older SportPilots?

Where can one get a rudder reference sensor ? Not finding them available.

It is SeaTalk capable so it should work with the original SportPilot/SportPilot+ models.

There are quite a few different rudder reference transducers made by Raymarine but it looks like:

For an outboard implementation the rudder reference is a Raymarine part # M81188.

For I/O or inboards it is a Raymarine part # M81105.

Confirm which one you need by contacting Raymarine or one of their dealers (like Frank at Calumet Marine!)

I have never been on a boat with auto pilot, very intrigued about the way everybody talks about how they would never be without, once they have one. We always have enough guys on boat for a driver,and it seems like its to crowded most of time.What am I missing?

A good autopilot will steer better then most people can with gyroscopic sensor, accelerometers, and magnetic heading sensors they will sense the boat moving well before a person especially when they are paying half attention the the compass and half to the rods. And different autopilots have different number and quality of sensors and different computers and software to be able to interrupt and utilize that data the is what makes the difference a lot of the times between a $1200 autopilot and a $3000 one.

For me it is about me actually being able to fish without yelling at friends or family members because they can't drive the boat. Most of my friends and family are amazed at how easy i drive my boat yet when they try and drive it within minutes they are fighting the wheel back and forth trying to stay on course. Because they often under steer early and over steer late. The auto pilot simply adjusts to course changes as they happen and once it finds a pattern even prepares for some of them. The big game changing event is when you realize other than watching out in front of you you can do other things besides drive. Being able to leave the helm on a snotty day to help land a triple short handed is a blessing. Imagine quartering into 2 to 4ft waves all day and never touching the wheel. The second thing is tuning my troll if I notice my gear is pulling to starboard I simply move the AP a few deg to port and my gear is running correct. Not one person complained about the driver last year and he never took the last beer.