New electronics, need so recommendations

We are looking to replace our lowrance. We fish primarily lake Erie and lake Michigan, so a good sonar and chartplotter are the most important. Not interested in lowrance as they have the worst customer service of any company I've ever seen. That said what do people recommend? Primarily we are looking at the hummingbird and Garmin. Will any of the down imaging help us? Which one has the best sonar?

Thanks for any help

We are looking to replace our lowrance. We fish primarily lake Erie and lake Michigan, so a good sonar and chartplotter are the most important. Not interested in lowrance as they have the worst customer service of any company I've ever seen. That said what do people recommend? Primarily we are looking at the hummingbird and Garmin. Will any of the down imaging help us? Which one has the best sonar?

Thanks for any help

I have an out of warranty Raymarine A60 and Raymarine DS600. I had a part missing from the bracket on my A60 this year. I called up their service department, explained my issue... they found a whole bracket in the shop and shipped it to me free of charge. I had it to my door in 3 days. Paid zero dollars... I was impressed. They cost a bit more up front, but if I have to purchase again, I will take a hard look at Raymarine again. Great customer service!

I upgraded to a Humminbird 788DIHD. Compared to what I had before, it is really awesome and I am very happy with it. I have found that the Down Imaging hasn't been helpful for Great Lakes fishing, but is a neat feature for inland lakes.

I installed a Garmin 740s on Sunday. Needless to say I haven't had it out on the water yet but so far I like the options and it seems very user friendly. I will give a full review after having it on the water. I have used Humminbird products on other boats and have been impressed with how easy they were to use. Like Matt said, budget is a huge factor when talking electronics.

You may want to give the price range of what your looking at to give a more specific group of electronics.

I'd say price range is around 1500 or less of course. Currently we have a 10" screen so it needs to be at least 7".

I'd say price range is around 1500 or less of course. Currently we have a 10" screen so it needs to be at least 7".

Well there are two options, one bust the bank a little bit and get the new Garmin 741xs with CHIRP. That would be by far the BEST sonar that anything even close to that price range, this unit just blows everything away at anywhere near that price. It has the new HD ID sonar and CHIRP compatibility which before now has been a $3000 add on to much more expensive units, but Garmin has just released this unit this month with has Chirp built in and you can get the unit itself for under the $1500 mark but then have to add a $200-$300 TM150 CHIRP transducer.

If that budget is really rock solid then take a look at the Garmin 740s which will put you $500 under budget or the Raymarine E7d which is a little bit more money then the Garmin (and I personally believe the Garmin is the better unit for the money) but some people prefer the Raymarine and it does have a few more features.

the garmin chirp sounders are outstanding.we switched to the garmin mid season last year.target seperation is unbelievable and performance at planing speeds are great.marks fish tite to the bottom.controls are very easy to use.:thumb: