Dipsey Rods

I'm trying to determine which rods are better for use with dipsey divers. The Shakespeare 10' ugly stick, or the Diawa 10' heartland. If anyone has experience with the difference in these rods, I would love to hear it. Thanks Ray

i personaly dont think you need 10' rods for dipsy,s. but its more of a personal thing. i use 2 7'6" rods in the back and then 2 8'6" rods in the middle and 9' rods in the front. then if i do happen to run 8 divers i use 10' rods in front. alot of people like using the same length rods because they say they can tell better if there draging a small fish around. but i dont seem to have as many tangles using different length rods.

if i was going to use the same size rods i would just get something in a 7' to 8'6" but thats just my opinion.

sherman

I love my 10' blue diamond okuma roller rods...they seem to help when we have 12' leads...you can still raise your hands up over your head and help the net guy out...however, we are probably going to start running even longer leads and then hand lining in the fish, so I may have to experiment with the 8'6" rods so we can actually reach the line to start hand lining...we'll let you know how it goes.

We run the 8'6" rods inside and deep and the 10' rods outside and high.

I have run the Daiwa Heartland dipsey rods before and a friend uses Ugly Stick dipsey rods. Both work fine, not a huge difference between them. On my friends US's it seems like the butt ends are bigger than normal and he kept losing caps off his holders when people pulled them out under tension.

I'm trying to determine which rods are better for use with dipsey divers. The Shakespeare 10' ugly stick, or the Diawa 10' heartland. If anyone has experience with the difference in these rods, I would love to hear it. Thanks Ray

I have a set of these rods and they work great ! But at 10'6" they are long and its not very often I need to run more than 2 dipsys anymore. I bought them for use as a high line rod , over my wires. its nice to start with to get things away from the boat . They are a lot like a tree trunk though, I think someone else commented on the size of the butt.

As far as which one is better , I do believe that the ugly stick are a little softer in the tip which could act like a shock absorber to keep the fish on. I prefer the Diawas to the ugly sticks. But that's just my opinion.

From simply a construction and quality point of view, there are some pros and cons to each. Starting with the Ugly Stik. Pros-nearly indestructable blank, decent price. Cons'- easily destructable reel seat and handle. Vinyl butt covers are commonly missing. Poor quality guides. Heartlands- Pros-decent blank, cost, much better handle setup. Cons- not much better guides than the Ugly Stik. So really six one way half dozen the other, go with whichever you get the best deal on in my opinion.

Gonna run 10' gander dipsy rods for wire this year with twilli tips hopefully it will be a success.

I used to run the Twilli tips and they were ok but I tried the Torpedo Tips and liked them a lot better. Not nearly as much resistance. Might want to give them a try if you haven't already installed the Twilli's since there isn't much price difference. JMO. Now I run Talora rollers and like them a lot.

Gonna run 10' gander dipsy rods for wire this year with twilli tips hopefully it will be a success.
It will work fine, been using Okuma 10' Dipsey rods with Twill tips for several years work great, I have yet to have guide problems in at least 4 seasons.

I used to run the Twilli tips and they were ok but I tried the Torpedo Tips and liked them a lot better. Not nearly as much resistance. Might want to give them a try if you haven't already installed the Twilli's since there isn't much price difference. JMO. Now I run Talora rollers and like them a lot.

https://www.torpedodivers.com/scart/product_details.asp?ItemNum=V0010

$34.99 :eek: twili tips are like 8 bucks!

You might even find some of the original brown Heartlands or even the black ones at Armstrong's. Careful how much money you bring with you though... and it's even worse now that they take credit cards. Not too far the OP's location in Newago.

I think that this is for walleye fishing. I think he's running 6-8 Slide Divers.

i run the slide divers and run 6 most of the time and have run 8 a very few times. and yes im fishing for walleyes but we do get a nice steelhead sometimes. and no i wouldnt want to run 6 or 8 divers for salmon fishing. i was just saying rods shorter than 10' will work for divers.

• 3 weeks later...

I know they weren't in your comparison, but I'm a big fan of Shimano TDRs. They are reasonably priced ($28-40 depending on who you buy from), a wide selection of sizes, have quality guides, and Fuji reel seats. Definitely one of the best buys for your money.

Another vote for the Heartlands. We have run them for a long time now, and they just hold up to the beating Salmon give them. Don't bother with a Twilli-tip until you start seeing grooves in the ceramic at the tip. Although, a Twilli will greatly reduce the resistance you get with wire through the tip.