Rain gear reviews?

I have a pair of Ice armor, currently have a pair of frog togs as rain gear. I was wondering what everyone else uses. I am leading at a pair of Grundens, there made for commercial fishing or Helly Hansen. I dont mind the the Togs but you get what ya pay for with 50$ bibs and they collect the smell.

I have been using West Marine Third Reef gear for many years. I wear the bibs nearly everyday and they stand up pretty well. I like them because they are fairly breathable. Makes a huge difference when its 90 degrees outside.

Aftco has released a new pair that looks good too and claim to be breathable too.

http://www.aftco.com/transom-fishing-bib-pants-1453-prd1.htm

I picked up a pair of Simms (bibs and coat) last year. They are pricey but I think worth it. They breath very good for a system that is really good for temps at least as low as the 40's with proper layering. That being said, farting inside them shouldn't be as much an issue as with the unbreathing Toggs.

Matt, you opened up a can of worms responding to Don.

I used to buy cheap raingear and ended up ripping them (not from farts) after about 3 or 4 trips.

Finally I got sick of it and wend to Gander and got a pair of guide rated bibs and coat.

They are awesome.

I'd say if you are looking for good gear - don't be afraid to spend the money - you won't be mad about it later.

Especially fishing as much as you do.

Matt

I've been using my ice armour blue suit as a rain suit. But, I haven't needed to use it in WARM weather, so I'm not sure how HOT it would be in the dead of summer during a rain storm. But, it is windproof and waterproof...

Definitely recommend the Grundens or Helly Hansen rubbers over any Gore-Tex type suit. I have a Helly Hansen suit...keeps me warm and dry and they've held up to many weeks of halibut/cod fishing trips in Alaska.

Do you know what suit it was? I see that they make different models for helly. I dont like the cloth type suites, i know guys that have used them for mid summer and they got really hot and the bibs were nasty.

Grundens...hands down.

Wore them commercial fishing on Bristol Bay and still have a set that is 8 years old and still don't have any holes or anything and I use them a lot. Keep them crumbled up in any of a handful of boats we use and stuffed in the tool box of the truck when not on the boat. I haven't been easy on them and they are still around so when its time I will get another set. My girlfriend bought a set of the Grundens Gage series and really likes them as well. I've got two gander mountain breathable rain jackets and if its really raining you get wet. If you are going to be out when its really raining hard make sure you get a jacket that has neoprene cuffs. Really nice for raising your arms up to set lines and things and not having a bunch of water run down your arm getting you soaked.

Matt, I like the Grundens as well for the money, but my rain coat that I have is a cheapey and it shows.

P.S. don't unzipp your rain coat facing the wave's I did a couple years ago in a turnament cause I was hot, the waves was 3-5ft and I was setting a dipsey when a good one hit us from the side and the water went up so hard it took my hat off:eek: and when it came down well my coat unzipped part way was like a funnel and in she went was cold in may

I'm pretty sure they were the Lerwick or Aquafoil bib and jacket set...couldn't find my exact set online. I spent a couple hundred dollars on them in a sportshop up in Alaska. Anything that's made out of the PVC/PU material should be good though...keeps you warm, very easy to clean and does not hold any smell...as proof (if the link below works) my raingear still smells like new.

picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=707

How is the PVC in the summer? Seems like it would get hot.

Just had a conversation with my boss who has a pair of Grunden Hercules, he said best pair of rain gear ever. He said he wears them all year long, very durable. Time to shop around and see if i can get them for a good price.