Sunglasses

i have a pair of liberty biker sunglasses for on the boat. being that i need prescription lenses these were the only wrap type sunglasses i could find. they are polarized and uv protective lenses and allow me tosee in the water really wellfor netting they have them at walmart in the vision center with non script lenses for about 80 bucks with the polarized uv lenses. With scrip lenses they were 121.

I have a pair of Maui Jim's with the titanium light weight frames that I use in relatively low light conditions or cloudy days. When it is really bright I go to a pair of Costa Del Mar with plastic frames and wrap around lenses that really cut out the reflected glare off the water. Both polarized of course.

At the end of last year I also picked up a pair at Gander Mountain that have a magnifying lens area toward the bottom. Didn't use them too much last year but with the 50+ eyes not doing as good for up close work like knot tying thought they might be worth a try.

oakley polarized. Have lost a few pairs overboard but i think they are worth the extra money over any of the cheaper polarized sunglasses I have tried. Unfortunately the fashion trends are hitting Oakley hard and I do not think there is a pair they presently offer that I would be caught dead with.

I have looked at the Costa Del Mar sunglasses but have not found the right frame to fit me comfortably yet. When I need a new pair I will probably be checking them out more closely.

Like Ryan, I have like the Maui Jim's

They are made for the water. They are divided into 3 parts. The center part is lighter than the upper, and lower. When out on the water you get reflection from above, and off the water. This is what is nice about the Maui Jims.

They have added protection from glare, with out cutting off all light straight away.

I went fot for for the Island Time.

http://www.mauijim.com/islandtimes.html

I have both Maui Jim's and Ray Ban. Both polarized, all glass, and both are far superior to any other brands I've ever had on my skull. Although with glass lenses they will be slightly more heavy than the poly-carbonite, in my opinion it's money well spent.

Love my costa del mars rincons, going on the 3rd season"knocking on wood". No problems at all, from the end of the season, you will see how good they are when it's all still white where your lenses are.

I get the racoon look every spring. At least I have improved and have not got sunburned in at least 4 years after the first trip of the year :grin:

I recommend costa del mars. I've got the 580 glass lenses and they are truly amazing. They cost a pretty penny, so attach a lanyard on the back. Like it was mentioned before, you have to find the right frame size. Just because you like how they look doesn't mean they will fit you well. I've got the PERMIT frames.

I am in the market for some new shades... What does everyone use?

Morning Dave,

I finally broke down and bought some good glasses, told my wife as a retirement gift to me, two years ago. I bought the COSTA's with the 580 glass. I really like them. Comfortable and as we all know, vision is so precious I wanted to make sure I protected my eyes.

Fast forward a year. Was at the D and R Sports Center fishing open house and a Costa sales rep was there with his display. Tried and ordered a set of Costa's with 1.75 bifocal lenses. They have become my favorite glasses because I can actually see to tie on a hook. Did take awhile to get used to the bifocal though.

I've read that all lenses are the same by some "experts" and all lenses are made at the same place, etc. Don't know if that is true or not but the frames and glasses have been perfect.

Oh, and I'll be very sad when I lose a pair because they are pricey. And I did invest in a Lanyard to keep them hanging around my neck because as noted earlier, getting older which means, well, you know..............

Have fun shopping.

Paul C.

PS.........E.J. 's Sunglasses does have great web prices sometimes.

Whatever I can buy for less than $20 at the gas station that will fit my fat head. I'm hard on sunglasses, just like I was hard on regular glasses before my Lasik surgery and safety glasses at work. I'm sure the expensive glasses are nice but they aren't for me.

Costa Fathoms with 580 lenses for me. I found that once I shelled out $200 and change for them, I got real serious about making sure they stay either on my face or in their case. If people aren't making fun of your racoon eyes, your wearing glasses that aren't protecting you.

Paul, I am interested in the bifocal lenses for my Costas. I am just starting to need bifocals for up close. I had a hell of a time tying knots this week in Florida! Are the prescription lenses lots more money? Do you have contact information for the rep?

My "shades" start with a hat and then the best "cheap" glasses I can find with good uv protection and anti-glare. I have left or lost too many glasses to spend a bunch for them. Come to think of it I left a pair on Ben's boat last year but he was kind enough to return them. Hey Ben if they were Costa's would I have ever seen them again??? :-)

Paul, I am interested in the bifocal lenses for my Costas. I am just starting to need bifocals for up close. I had a hell of a time tying knots this week in Florida! Are the prescription lenses lots more money? Do you have contact information for the rep?

Morning Tony,

The glasses are just over the counter, no prescription needed. I think Costa offers a 1.75 and a 2.5 bifocal. Can't get them in the 580 glass though, as far as I know. Here is a link for some similar to what I bought.

http://www.ej-sunglasses.com/Sunglasses/Costa-Del-Mar-Harpoon-C-Mate/Costa-Del-Mar-Harpoon-C-Mate-HR-10-DAP-175

Sorry, don't have the reps name. I think what I'd do is go to a store selling the Costa's and find the right frame for you and then just order with the bifocals. It is very convenient to be able to see, its like turning on a light!

Have fun looking.

Paul C.

My 2 cents:

I have the prescription Maui Jims in a progressive lens. I cannot tell you how much I LOVE these sunglasses! They were my first pair of truly good sunglasses, and I will never go back the cheap ones, even if I have to sell a guitar to afford new ones.

I went the cheaper route and got Miller welding glasses that block UV rays used in plasma cutting. Not as fancy as others but when they go over the side or they break I am only out 25 bucks. They wrap around like some of the other sporty models and have different color frames and tints, check them out.

I use the cheap ($10.00) big wrap arounds. UV protection, fit over my glasses,and work well. Don,t think anyone makes them anymore,but I know a place that has all kinds of old and new fishing stuff. My fishing budget doesn't have room for designer fishing glasses.

I use the cheap ($10.00) big wrap arounds. UV protection, fit over my glasses,and work well. Don,t think anyone makes them anymore,but I know a place that has all kinds of old and new fishing stuff. My fishing budget doesn't have room for designer fishing glasses.

Tom for fit overs go to walmart they have polarized uv protected fit overs for 18 bucks a pair. Every where else there like 30 bucks or better. They are by solar shield and my eye doc who fly fishes pointed the out to me. http://solarshield.com/sunglass.html I used the sport as they wrap around better and dont let the sun in till i bought prescription sunglasses last year for the first time. I used them for the last ten years or so and still keep three or four pairs on the boat in case someone forgets sunglasses.