Sufix Superior line

I have to respool a bunch of my rigger rods with mono and I'm considering a different line. In the past I have used mainly Ande Tournament in green and pink. Not sure what's happened but it isn't readily available anymore. I also have used Momoi Hi Catch but I wasn't overly impressed. Same for Big Game. So, I'm looking at something else.

I have heard good things about Sufix and found some Sufix Superior at a good price, but I have never used it and don't know anyone that has used it. I'm also considering going back to original Stren.

Anyone had any experience with the Sufix Superior? Any other suggestions?

P-line in 25# or 30# works ausome never had a problem in two seasons. I ran 25# on my riggers in clear blue and 30# in clear for my high divers didn't break off hardly any last year and the ones that did break was due to human error.

Thanks, I like PLine and use it for my 8# walleye spinning outfits. But for 300+ yards on a salmon reel it is too expensive to me -- nearly twice the cost of others (Ande & Sufix). On my rigger rods I usually run 12# test for spoons/plugs and 17# for flashers until July and then go to 17# for spoons/plugs and 20# for flashers/meat. Break offs are never an issue -- we use the drag and if necessary slow down the boat.

I have been running Cortlandt Flea Flicker mono for some time now. I don't know about the relative cost, but in my mind its worth it.

I run flea flicker during the months of July and August, I bought a 2500 yard spool at D&R Sports(36.99) a couple of years back and still have some. I keep 4 reels spooled with it specifically for the time when fleas start becoming a problem. I much prefer using Ande 20 for my standard downrigger rods and my flat lines. The biggest problem with flea flicker is that it is not round and it twists badly even with good swivels. But for that time when the fleas are making it almost impossible to reel in your downrigger lines its the answer.

used Blood Run mono last season and very impressed. Stuff is tough as nails and i hardy noticed any memory or twisting. I actually do not remember a single break off besides a couple wrapped around my rigger and probe. If I wasn't switching out to the their purple mono this season, I wouldn't even change my line.

I saw the purple "Tournament" line on the Blood Run website. The description for it and the "regular" downrigger line is identical though. The only hint of any difference is in the product picture. I emailed them to ask what makes the "Tournament" line so much better and worth twice the price.

I do wish that they would make it in something other (less) than 20# test. I'm probably going to regret saying this out loud :rolleyes:, but break offs have never been a big problem for me nor has fish getting into the rigger lines. It isn't like we are fishing for bass with weeds, rocks, and branches for the fish to get into out there on the big lakes. Aside from the downriggers there just isn't anything out there for the fish to get into and break off. If the drag is set right I don't see the need for any main line over 20# and based on my results, I subscribe to the same philosophy as Dan Keating and beleive the lighter lines get more hits -- especially when fishing spoons.

I saw the purple "Tournament" line on the Blood Run website. The description for it and the "regular" downrigger line is identical though. The only hint of any difference is in the product picture. I emailed them to ask what makes the "Tournament" line so much better and worth twice the price.

I do wish that they would make it in something other (less) than 20# test. I'm probably going to regret saying this out loud :rolleyes:, but break offs have never been a big problem for me nor has fish getting into the rigger lines. It isn't like we are fishing for bass with weeds, rocks, and branches for the fish to get into out there on the big lakes. Aside from the downriggers there just isn't anything out there for the fish to get into and break off. If the drag is set right I don't see the need for any main line over 20# and based on my results, I subscribe to the same philosophy as Dan Keating and beleive the lighter lines get more hits -- especially when fishing spoons.

There actually is a huge difference between Blood Run's Standard Downrigger Mono and their Tournament Purple Downrigger mono. The Tournament Purple mono is 30x more abrasion resistant than the standard downrigger mono and has a breaking strength around 26lbs despite being rated at 20lb. And for all you loyal Dan Keating followers, it has a diameter equivalent to 16lb mono. I do not practice the theory but i would think 16lb should be more than sufficient if you do. If you need anything less than that to catch fish then you won't find me around, i'll stick to fishing the salmon living around Racine!

I am not sure where you read the description Ryan, but the accurate one can be found here:

http://bloodruntackle.gostorego.com/shop/premium-monofilaments/20-lb-tournament-downrigger-monofilament.html

Hope this helps!

I got an email back from Blood Run thanking me for pointing out the error on the website and that they updated it. At least the opening paragraph of the description is now different.

I may have to get a spool to try it out. I do have some trouble believing the 30x more abrasion resistant claim though. To me that means that if "regular" line took 100 back and forth rubs before being roughed up or breaking, then the Blood Run "tournament" stuff would take 3,000 of the same rubs. That's an awfully big ratio.

Its diameter is pretty much the same as most premium 20# test mono at .017 inch and unfortunately in my opinion, almost all of them test higher than rated. The 20# test Stren Original, Berkley Big Game, Ande Premium, and Sufix Superior are all .018 in diameter. Those same lines in are .014 to .016 in diameter for their 15 or 16# test. Ande Tournament and Sufix Titanium Plus are actually .016 in diameter.

In fact, if the line breaks at 25# then why isn't it rated at that instead of 20#. If they are claiming the line is the equivalent diameter of other manufacturer's 16# test (which it isn't), then promote it as a 25# test line with the diameter of a 16 or 20#. That's what the Power Pro and Fireline super braids do.

I really wish companies would shoot straight with their claims. It isn't like the information isn't readily available to be found out. It is one thing for a person to state an opinion... entirely different for a company to publish misleading or false information as facts.

If you like lighter mono try, 15lb maxima ,its a little pricey but this stuff is awsome, ive got it in 12 lb on my trolling rods for in the river and have yet to break off in 3 seasons on the same line, i also like it in 15 on my riggers.

If you like lighter mono try, 15lb maxima ,its a little pricey but this stuff is awsome, ive got it in 12 lb on my trolling rods for in the river and have yet to break off in 3 seasons on the same line, i also like it in 15 on my riggers.

So it isn't too stiff? On of my best friends is mainly a bass fisherman and he uses it mainly for fishing in the ugly stuff because of its toughness. The last time I looked at it, it seemed pretty stiff but it was probably 20#+ rated. They are also one of the brands that I think way under sells the breaking strength rating of their products. Their 15# should probably be labeled 20+.

I haven't seen it in a store in a long time. It used to only come in a very dark color too... is it available in clear or a lighter green?

Any line that has abrasion resistance is key and worth the extra expense for guys who fish tournaments, charters and worry about losing a $20 paddle/meat rig combo. Any serious fisherman has lost fish wrapped around wire divers, coppers and downrigger cables...it just happens. Based upon your regular visits and responses to these internet forums, surely Ryan you fish hundreds of hours and land hundreds of fish a year and must have experienced at least 1 lost fish due to a line break? One??? :no:

Any line that has abrasion resistance is key and worth the extra expense for guys who fish tournaments, charters and worry about losing a $20 paddle/meat rig combo. Any serious fisherman has lost fish wrapped around wire divers, coppers and downrigger cables...it just happens. Based upon your regular visits and responses to these internet forums, surely Ryan you fish hundreds of hours and land hundreds of fish a year and must have experienced at least 1 lost fish due to a line break? One??? :no:

I didn't say none ;) but I can say in 40+ years I have only had 2 fish get into the rigger cables and only lost 1 of those and it was my 14 year old nephew on his first trip 5 years ago. Did take a bunch of scuffed up line off to get to the undamaged line though after both. I can count on one hand how many tangles have cost us a fish and even then it was not a break off. And yes that's with running no heavier than 20# test and most of the time it is 17 or less -- 12 to 15 in the spring/early summer.

As far as break offs, the boat had one real bad trip last year out of Holland where we had 3 break off because they got into a leadcore and a wire diver -- Mull was with me and the day was a disaster as far as landing fish with us going 7 or 8 for about 24 but the rest just got off -- and they were not Coho or Steelhead. The rest of the year didn't have any break offs with 216 fish landed out of 226 hooked.

I also really work to land every fish we hook. For the most part we don't bring them to the boat "hot" and the wide openness of the SeaCat makes it nice to fight them and land them cleanly.

I'm meticulous with my tackle as far as checking lines and knots. In 1999 it was my first spring after moving to St. Joe and I was real eager to get on the water. Didn't do my usual winter routine due to moving and paid the price of not respooling with new line. The 15# Big Game was in bad shape. Broke off 3 or 4 of the fish on that first trip. At $5 per lure plus the fish, I have never made that mistake again and alway check line at the start of each season and generally replace the mono each year. 12 - 14# on the SG27LCA's each spring and then the 17 or 20# on the SG47LCA and Ticas at mid season.

If I could find the Ande I would be all set but every where I have checked is out of stock or wants too much for shipping. No one had it or any other good bulk spool line at a decent price at the shows either. Thus why I started the thread. Maybe I'm picky :no::)

Have used Suffix in 12lb. on my spinning rods. Not superior tho, I dont think less its been around forawhile. I tried two kinds (Suffix)when it first came out, (red packaged spool and blue packed spool) cant remember how one was diff. than the other without looking. But no complaints on either in 12lb. test. Granted im using a 4-8lb. Maxima leader also so not sure if that is gona help you any.

If Ande stopped making their line and its what you like and know works for you it might be best to bite the bullet and get a bulk spool now and then you got it for next time to.

If that not an option and nothing else comes up leme know what lb. and how much your looking for/ how much you used to pay etc. and ill do some help searching best Ande deals. From just quick search I found 650yd. spool 20lb. Ande $20 vs. 600yd. 20lb. p-line flouro $24. (didnt catch shipping price)

Havent had to play the compare fishing lines/ prices game in a few yrs. as im stuck on P-line myself for 15/20lb. rigger line. but I know how frustrating it can be when they stop making something you rely on and you gotta start experimenting all over again.

Thanks. They haven't stopped making the Ande Tournament... it is still on the corp web page... but have not seen at a local shop for over a year and all of the catalog stores show it out of stock. I'd much prefer to find it at a local store but the only source I have found right now is eBay. Found out that Sufix is now owned by Rapala. I'm actually hoping to find a 2400-3000 yard spool because the 300 yard reel-filler size are real expensive compared to bulk.

Gotcha gotcha now...well when/if I happen to see anything in stores (G.R. area) in that quantity ill letcha know or if I happen to find a good killer online deal in that quantity ill pass it along also. Good luck either way you end up going.

That would be great. I'm afraid that over here near Lansing, Gander Mountain and Dick's are our only options and neither has much.

The last few times I was down to the Dundee Cabela's the line selection was pretty bad. I'm hoping the Grandville store being much closer to Lake Michigan is better for salmon gear. I much prefer to buy from a local place but at least a local branch of a national store employs people locally. Unfortunately getting to a west side store when they are open is also a challenge.

Ryan, I will be making a trip to Jay's in Clare in the next couple of weeks and I'll check for Ande there. I use it too and usually buy it there. They normally have it in bulk spools. I also ran 15# on my riggers for the last 5+ years and can't remember much in the way of break offs or tangles into rigger cables. My dad likes to crank down on the drag and winch fish in hot but I put an end to that a few years ago after he brought one in and it got into a braid diver which cut right through the mono. I am going to try 20# mono this year because my new rigger reels came spooled with it, if I don't like it I can change it back out to 15#. I'll let you know if I find any.

Nick,

Why the dislike/hate Big Game? Outside of running Hi-seas once i have always used BG. On my walleye gear 12lb as it is the same diameter of10# XT. My salmon stuff is either 20# or 25# depending pn the setup. Been running BG for 20yrs + never a problem. I do keep ALL my line in the freezer for storage.

Edited by walleye621
line size omitted

Nick,

Why the dislike/hate Big Game? Outside of running Hi-seas once i have always used BG. On my walleye gear 12lb as it is the same diameter of10# XT. My salmon stuff is either 20# or 25# depending pn the setup. Been running BG for 20yrs + never a problem. I do keep ALL my line in the freezer for storage.

Thanks for bringing this up. I too have used 20# big game on riggers 30# for leaders on paddles and SD's. 20# for backing on my lead core. Used Big Game for many years. No issues, works great, just replace every year like any other mono. Buy the big spools. Can't beat the price.

Nick,

Hmmm, must be you misread my post. I never mentioned Big Game. In fact, I have never used it. I used Ande when I first started and have never had any issues so that's why I still use it. I have no opinion on Big Game, good or bad.