Still shopping electronics and still need help...

So I keep telling myself that I need an HDS 8. My wallet says old school guys caught lots of fish and never even had a fishfinder. As I'm trying to not spend tons of money while still getting a good unit, I keep thinking about lowrance's Elite 7. Anybody have any experience with that? I'm looking at about 700 with the gps and sounder vs. 1600 for the HDS. Do you guys have any other thoughts on them? I'd like to get as large of a screen as possible, must have reliable GPS and a suitable sonar system for both the Saginaw Bay (shallow 10-25') and Lake Michigan (obviously lots deeper). Thanks for all the help guys.... again

I got an HDS 7 based on Line Dancin's advise and the screen size. The biggest thing that sold me on the HDS unit was that it had the NEMA connection for an autopilot, which I plan on putting on my boat at some point, the Elite 7 does not have the NEMA connection. Also, Lowrance dealers (or at least the Outdoorsman in Jenison) have a $100 rebate this month.

Good luck fishing this weekend jarod, I think I'm gonna have to wait a couple weeks yet. I'm anxious to know how you like that elite. Ben, have you found that the screen is big enough to split between graph and gps and still read it pretty well?

I ordered a Garmin 740s from Calumet Marine. It just shipped yesterday so I'll give a review when I get it installed. Picking up the boat today. I plan on using the GPS to connect to my autopilot but am keeping my old GPS to use for charts so I won't be splitting the screen much.

Nick, Good plan to keep the old one for charts. I never did like split screens. Maybe it's my old eyes. :lol: Even in the past when running my old Lowrance LMS 350 I'd toggle back and forth between the sonar and gps rather than run a split screen.

Installed the Garmin 740s,hooked up the tr1 and the vhf200 and linked them all together.plan on calibrating this weekend out on the milwaukee ocean.I use my Ipad as my second GPS,as a secondary it works fine.So far,in the driveway, I am really liking this Garmin,easy to use like all other Garmin products I have used.Previously on my boats I have had Humminbird equipment,but I like the fact the 740 can hook up radar and weather in the future

Installed the Garmin 740s,hooked up the tr1 and the vhf200 and linked them all together.plan on calibrating this weekend out on the milwaukee ocean.I use my Ipad as my second GPS,as a secondary it works fine.So far,in the driveway, I am really liking this Garmin,easy to use like all other Garmin products I have used.Previously on my boats I have had Humminbird equipment,but I like the fact the 740 can hook up radar and weather in the future

Besides getting it for around $1000 one of the other reasons I went with it was the ability to add radar/weather in the future. My old GPS wouldn't talk to my radio or autopilot so this should be a huge upgrade and make my AP work even better. Brought the boat home today so I'm getting closer:) Just realized I kind of hijacked this thread. Sorry about that:( I can't help you with the HDS vs. Elite debate but hopefully the other guys who have purchased either one will help you out. Electronics are so expensive it's good to make a decision with the best information possible.

The Elite-7 does have NMEA2000.

The big thing that the Elite-7 does not have that the HDS series does is Ethernet. Ethernet give you the ability to expand on what you have with Radar, Structure Scan, CHIRP sonar, and Link several units together and share all the information.

So the big question is what are you going to do with it? Are you always going to have 1 unit and no desire to ever add Radar, Structure Scan, or CHIRP sonar? If that is the case then go with the Elite-7, if not then it will save you some money in the long run to bite the bullet and get an HDS.

Let me know which way your leaning and ill make sure you get the best price while supporting a board sponsor (Calumet Marine).

one thing i love with my hds is the sirius real time weather. it uses the ethernet connection if you ever think of getting the weather. It overlays on your gps gives you warnings when lightening is 25 15 and 10 miles out. Shows the storms and direction they are moving wind speed and how hard it is raining. Right now they show wave height on the ocean. That is a feature that they are going to be adding to the great lakes when sirius puts up their new satellite. the current satellite cant read the wave height on the great lakes. It also shows surface temps and breaks. I see they came out with the elite in broadband now which is the way you would want to go if going with the elite. the rms on a standard unit is about 600w where with broadband it is 250w = 30000w standard.

Was playing with the Elite 7 today and saw the NMEA 2000 connect in the back. I have no plans of connecting anything else and happy so far.

Im trying to hook up Elite 7 to my new Uniden marine radio, NMEA 183 connect I believe. I cross referenced the 2 brochures however they don't match. Uniden says connect Lowrance's black wire to their green, there is no black wire:no:

Try again in the light tomorrow. Thought it would be great to have radio distress set in case ever needed.

Was playing with the Elite 7 today and saw the NMEA 2000 connect in the back. I have no plans of connecting anything else and happy so far.

Im trying to hook up Elite 7 to my new Uniden marine radio, NMEA 183 connect I believe. I cross referenced the 2 brochures however they don't match. Uniden says connect Lowrance's black wire to their green, there is no black wire:no:

Try again in the light tomorrow. Thought it would be great to have radio distress set in case ever needed.

Definitely a good idea if you can get it done Jarrod. That's on my list of things to do this year, too.

The Elite-7 does have NMEA2000.

The big thing that the Elite-7 does not have that the HDS series does is Ethernet. Ethernet give you the ability to expand on what you have with Radar, Structure Scan, CHIRP sonar, and Link several units together and share all the information.

So the big question is what are you going to do with it? Are you always going to have 1 unit and no desire to ever add Radar, Structure Scan, or CHIRP sonar? If that is the case then go with the Elite-7, if not then it will save you some money in the long run to bite the bullet and get an HDS.

Let me know which way your leaning and ill make sure you get the best price while supporting a board sponsor (Calumet Marine).

Sounds like this should help you out Jason. As long as you aren't adding on anything you can get the big screen and save some bucks. You can even get a first hand review from Jarrod since I know he'll have his boat in the water any day now.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm pretty sure I will want to add radar within a year or two because my unit now is getting pretty dated. Don't worry about hijacking, I'm not against garmin units either. Just trying to get the most for my money. Looking forward to heating the reports of the newly installed elites and garmins. Tight lines to all...