Copper setups

I have a pair of 300' of 45# copper setups. I'm just not interested in putting any presentation out any further than 300'. I also have 2 ten color leadcore, 2 five color, 1 three color, and a two color.

When I want to get deeper than that or to an in between depth, I add Dive Bomb and Torpedo Diver weights. I'll also change to a lure that runs at a slower speed and slow the speed of the troll which will cause weighted lines to drop substantially deeper -- 30% deeper running 2.1 mph than 2.5.

I run all copper 45# from 30 ft to 300ft like seacat I see no sense in touturing my friends or myself reeling in anything longer.I have added torpedo divers to them years ago and can get the same depths as running the longer copper without needing over 300 feet of copper out.

actually I found it outlandishly funny when my bud had to reel in the 450 last year 3 times cause I just wasn't going to do it. No I wasn't. if I don't have a buddy I don't use anything longer than 300. I run 45 morgan's cause it was on sale

I am pretty much fishing copper exclusively. Run 32lb in 50-250 ft lengths and 45lb in 300-450 ft. Will be replacing my long 45lb with the new 60lb. Last year my better setups were 200 and 250 but we were fishing inside 100 fow a good part of the year.

We run 45lb on everything...i guess I figured if we were going to run copper it was goign to be deep fast...not that 32 lb doesn't work...it's just what we started with and stuck with...we use 100, 200 and 300 coppers and I'm thinking about 450s, but I like the idea of the 60lb copper and going with a 300 on it.

We ran 2 300' 45lbs rods last year with decent results so this year I picked up some more blood run 45lbs to make up 150,200, and 250 rods Im just trying to figure out which of my reels to put the smaller sections of copper on.

actually I found it outlandishly funny when my bud had to reel in the 450 last year 3 times cause I just wasn't going to do it. No I wasn't. if I don't have a buddy I don't use anything longer than 300. I run 45 morgan's cause it was on sale

I picked up a Convector cv55 high speed reel from tunas for the 450 copper I have , it takes less time to bring in the 450 than the 300.

I just started running copper last year,I have a 100,200 and 300' 32 lb opti.Is there a difference in how user friendly the 32 lb is compared to the 45 lb?

I can tell you that the bloodrun copper is very smooth compared to the opti copper and runs deeper. The opti copper is slightly smaller in diameter . and stiffer.

what this 60lb all about and when its coming out..

60lb Copperâ„¢ from Blood Run Tackle was introduced at the Grand Rapids Outdoor show two weeks ago. It is designed to replace longer segments of lighter copper lines (45 and 32) with shorter segments to attain the same or deeper depths. Depth testing on the 60lb Copperâ„¢ took place last summer and will begin again this spring to confirm when at that point final dive curve numbers will be released.

My copper setups consist of 2 each of;

150 32#

200 32#

250 32#

300 32#

250 45#

300 45#

This covers the water column every 10' starting at 30'

My favorite one is the one that targets the zone where the fish are.

Generally there are fish in the 40-60' down range, so the most used is the 250, and 300' 32#.

I'm going to rig up a 300' 60# to see what that will do.

My copper setups consist of 2 each of;

150 32#

200 32#

250 32#

300 32#

250 45#

300 45#

This covers the water column every 10' starting at 30'

My favorite one is the one that targets the zone where the fish are.

Generally there are fish in the 40-60' down range, so the most used is the 250, and 300' 32#.

I'm going to rig up a 300' 60# to see what that will do.

I was so proud of my:

5 color

200 32#

300 32#

until reading this post........

2 300 45lb coppers

2 150 45lb coppers

2 10 colors

2 5 colors

2 3 colors

2 2 colors

My boats storage is limited so I do a lot of swapping reals around. 19 ft Lund only has so much room but we make the best of it. I find myself using the 2 n 3 colors late summer for j plugging and high lining for steelies. But the copper accounted for a ton of fish for us. I just got the second 150 n 300 setups for this year.

Grizzly

• 2 weeks later...
Seacat--I've had poor success with the dive bombers on my copper lines. Where are you attaching them? on the leader or on the copper? how far from the lure?

The best results is to attach them have way part of the copper. 300 copper put it on a 150ft on the copper; use your best judgement. For deeper results, run closer to the bait, for shallower run father from the bait. One thing that people often want to do is, try and float a line with a dive bomb over a line with out. It will tangle very easy. If you pick up the new Stinger Catalog, it has very question you may have pertaining to the Dive Bombs.

Not trying to intrude on the post FYI

400'

350'

300'

250'

225'

200'

150'

225' was really hot 2 yrs ago. Didnt really fish lat year.

All 45# is what is ran on my boat. Can't wait to have achance to ever run any rods this year. Darn weather. Should out of SH tomorrow but not sure the copper will see the water!

Seacat--I've had poor success with the dive bombers on my copper lines. Where are you attaching them? on the leader or on the copper? how far from the lure?

I do as Matt said and put it on the copper. I usually put it at the 100' out mark on my coppers (300' total). I actually have seen better results with Torpedo weights on the copper and have mainly been using the Dive Bombs on my leadcores.