First Troll of the Year-St Joe

EdB

Great to be on a boat on the big lake after a long winter.

IMG_20130330_140252_zps683d4ef6.jpg

We ran south and set up a couple miles from the Cook plant and trolled south. It was very slow the first couple hours with no bites. When we got south of the plant, we hit a pocket of warmer water with temps bouncing from 38-39 and started picking fish.

IMG_20130330_133012_zps11d1d39f.jpg

Got a little further south and hit a triple. We kept working that area and fish were popping good, had some doubles and another triple. We fished the troughs off the beach. Kept working it and filling the cooler. We got 19 coho and 1 steelie.

IMG_20130330_133154_zpsaf2f3e7f.jpg

These did the damage on clean boards, leads 80 to 50ft. Had one diver with the solid orange thin fin out 10 ft that took 5.

IMG_20130330_133658_zps4d2d7853.jpg

The boats north of the plant did not do so good. There was colder water there. We had skim ice the first couple miles by the pier when we ran down. Docks are in at the St Joe launch, no docks at the DNR launch. It was 3-4 ft deep crossing the river and down to the first bridge, no problems there. Stay close to the Tackle Haven docks, some very shallow water not to far off them. If they park boats on the end, it will be tight there. Good luck!

Thanks for the report Ed, we were out Friday and went almost to Cook, but I didn't want to drive through the ice. We trolled all the way back and picked up 3. Martemucci's report on the forum was our trip. He left out, I picked up a 9.6 pound, male walleye on a red thin fin. First walleye ever on Lake Michigan for me.

Getting close.

Paul C.