Warrior uses same blanks as Fishlander?

Sea-Mac

Some of you may be familiar w/ Warrior spoons taking over for or buying out Fishlander spoon co. or whatever.. Well I had read they are using the same blanks as Fishlander used to use. So desperatly wanting and needing more blue/green dolphin Fishlander spoons (im sure most of you are thinking whats the diff. a blue/green dolph. spoon is the same no matter who makes it and what blank is used, cept I disagree) I ask the guys at the Warrior booth if indeed it is the exact same blank Fishlander used. Was told by three guys that it is EXACT same blank except the paints have been improved. Get home and compare the two and these are NOT the same blanks. The Warrior blank is about 1/8" shorter and has far less octagon dimples than my old trusty Fishlanders. Now if I had not been told it was the EXACT same blank I would not have bought it. Luckily I only bought one to check and see first before getting anymore. Now if this ends up working for me just as good or better for me than my old worn out Fishlanders (which I doubt cause no other blue/green dolph. works as good for me yet as the Fishlander) then no problems...but clearly not the EXACT same blanks as they had said.

Nice to see them admit it there anyways...why they couldnt have just told me that instead, id feel better than being lied to buy a spoon to try. Instead I heard it was the EXACT same blanks. Cause I made it pretty clear with three of them I only wanted the spoon if the EXACT same blanks were used...now time to find out personally just how much more better this new blank is. Cause im not just gona take their word for it again. cmon warm weather!

Here is a little history...if I remember correctly about the past..

The original spoon that the Fishlander spoon came from what was the Big Jon Company's ...FINFIGHTER spoon. Big Jon Co was being sold and the spoon die plates were either bought or given to Mike Steffes who is the nephew of John Emory who was the original owner and who started the Big Jon Co. Mike had his start in the spoon and downrigger manufacturing business from his uncle.

So after the Emory family sold the downrigger company Mike went off to Fishlander as a partner and founder of that company were they made riggers and FISHLANDER spoons.

That relationship went south and the company disbanded ....so Mike formed the Warrior spoon company that he's involved in today..

Over the years I've always had good results with the FINFIGHTER then FISHLANDER and now WARRIOR spoons...Last year off lead core and copper the Miami dolphin Warrior spoon was a killer for both steelhead and kings. The UV blue pearl Warrior off riggers was great on bright days for kings..

Never been a big fan of Mike Steffes as it seems like he has got an attitude problem with people...maybe it's just I take his personality wrong...but I will say I always buy his product because I do catch many fish with his spoons

there's a few companies that have identical blanks

I understand that and its why I believed so easily they were the same blanks as the old Fishlander spoons. Now which co. is using the same blanks as Fishlander used if any, or where does one buy that same blank that Fishlander used to use?...cause its not Warrior.

I have never used a Warrior spoon so I cant pass judgement on them...yet. But I have a pretty good feeling its gona be just like a Stinger NBK vs. a Dreamweaver NBK kinda thing.

warrior makes a bunch of different size spoons these days

there new size standard spoon is not the std. size fish landers was

I am not positive but you might want to have a look at their "flutter spoons"

If this don't work send me a pm I can send you mike steffes cell phone number I am sure he can give the exact answer

warrior makes a bunch of different size spoons these days

there new size standard spoon is not the std. size fish landers was

I am not positive but you might want to have a look at their "flutter spoons"

If this don't work send me a pm I can send you mike steffes cell phone number I am sure he can give the exact answer

What I want is spoons with the EXACT same blank Fishlander used. If the only way to get them is to buy old used Fishlander spoons then thats what I will have to do. Not interested in trying anything new or improved or different, just want what I have already found to work great for me over anything else thru lots of trials.

Thanks for offer, but I am 99.9% sure he (Mike) was one of the guys I already talked to that told me it was the EXACT same blank used on old Fishlander spoons, just the paint they use has been improved.

Plain and simple.....THEY CATCH A TON OF FISH ! Not happy that you were not told the correct scoop, but I have fished both for many years. I fish them side by side at times and they both catch a ton:thumb: The design changes are to IMPROVE the blank !

:( It is the same spoon. The VERY SLIGHT difference will not cause you to catch less fish ! If you don't like the WARRIOR spoon that you bought, I will buy it back from you and I will pay the shipping ( just shoot me a message). Fishlander has been out of business for about 5 years, the dies are not around anymore. Anything that I can do to make this situation right in for you ,just let me know. Like I said... I WILL BE GLAD TO BUY THE SPOON BACK AND ADD IT TO MY COLLECTION ( and I have hundreds of Warrior Lures :thumb: )

Even the blue and green is on opposite sides...:eek:

I do appreciate your opinion Matt and its wut im lookin for, how well they compare. Not as much as id like to just stick with what I know works tho. Cause holding them side by side they look more than "slightly" diff. to me.

You seem to be about as passionate about Warrior spoons as I am about a certain Fishlander spoon, and I might yet become a Warrior fan right along side ya. Hope I do cause trying to find a lure you really like after you run out and they stopped making it can be a hassle. They (Fishlander) still for sale I found and who knows how much longer ill be able to find them. So got an urge to stock up before that happens. But if people say they work just as good and I also find they work just as good then case settled.

But if I dont...and since you said "Anything"....

I want to

trade my Warrior blue/green dolphin for one of your Fishlander blue/green dolphins :thumb: and a free guided walleye fishing trip :thumb:

Worry more about what your spread looks like, not some small difference in a spoon. Lakeland made them and even had fishlander stamped on the back when I saw some. Give them a call. Probibly have some in a box some where.

I only have about 20 of the Fishlanders left( except the #1 size ). 99 percent of what I run is Warrior Lures. Free trip ? You are killing me :rolleyes:

But you have run them side by side and for salmon/ trout?

Why is 99% of what you run warrior?

Are you sponsored by or on the warrior pro staff?

@ free trip...id do it for you. :)

But ok ill just take my money back and you pay shipping...

They charged me $500 for it

Compare standard size stinger stingray-fishlander-wolverine silver streak-warrior-DW-and flintstone along side and on top one another. There is only slight differences in all of them. With stinger showing the biggest diff. in that its alot thinner than the rest, and DW and flintstone being the shortest. Stinger and Silver streak look more similiar to Fishlander to me than Warrior does.

At some point it must make a difference.

Has anyone else ever noticed that on some days one brand will outshine the other?

Ive read a few posts on here and other sites that say this.

Should I be buying the cheapest standard size spoons I can find in similiar colors?

I think that a lot of the difference is in thickness. DW and Moonshines are really thick , so you have to troll faster. Silver Streak and Warrior are medium thickness and catch fish great at all speeds ( I have caught salmon at 1.8 to 4 mph with both of these brands). Stingers are the thinnest and will catch fish really slow ( and the paint falls off). Some guys catch a ton on moonshine and DW but I can't ( I tend to troll slower most of the time). The thing is don't mix and match too much. you can run Streak and Warrior in the same spread and get them all working good. I would have a really hard time running stinger and moonshine in the same spread and get them all working at the same speed. NO YOU CAN"T GO OUT AND BUY CHEAP SPOONS :no:

Mike, You and I both know that a few little things can add up to a big difference in the catch. The first thing is your confidence in what you have down. Obviously your confidence is in the old Fishlander spoons. I know you'll keep an open mind because confidence can change from one item to another. Just find out what they want and give em lots of it. :) The only two things I have confidence in is duct tape and WD40. :lol: Ohhhhhh!!!!! and maybe a lil red bead. :)

We just have to fish together again soon.

I think that a lot of the difference is in thickness. DW and Moonshines are really thick , so you have to troll faster. Silver Streak and Warrior are medium thickness and catch fish great at all speeds ( I have caught salmon at 1.8 to 4 mph with both of these brands). Stingers are the thinnest and will catch fish really slow ( and the paint falls off). Some guys catch a ton on moonshine and DW but I can't ( I tend to troll slower most of the time). The thing is don't mix and match too much. you can run Streak and Warrior in the same spread and get them all working good. I would have a really hard time running stinger and moonshine in the same spread and get them all working at the same speed. NO YOU CAN"T GO OUT AND BUY CHEAP SPOONS :no:

K. Thanks again Matt.

Mike, You and I both know that a few little things can add up to a big difference in the catch. The first thing is your confidence in what you have down. Obviously your confidence is in the old Fishlander spoons. I know you'll keep an open mind because confidence can change from one item to another. Just find out what they want and give em lots of it. :) The only two things I have confidence in is duct tape and WD40. :lol: Ohhhhhh!!!!! and maybe a lil red bead. :)

We just have to fish together again soon.

Sigh...Frankie, you know...I think its your fault for making me this way. :grin:

But you summed it up pretty good and Thanks.

wd40 and a lil red bead??? You might have to show me again what thats all about, say late May sometime in June? :thumb: