Raymarine, Garmin, or Lowrance

MY2SONS

Looking for some information on which GPS/chartplotter to buy. Heard a lot of pros, and cons on all of these, but wanted to see what the majority of people are using, and why. I'm looking for something with a large display, easy to use, reliable, and excellent customer service. May be a lot to ask, but one of these should offer this. Any thoughts?

The hummingbird units are very easy to use also, i have used the 1197 and the 988 very easy to use with good customer service. I was playing around with the Raymarine C130 that is on the 2nd boat for us this year, this thing is nothing short of awesome.

I have Garmin sonar and GPS plotter (separate units). Raymarine radar and autopilot. I have owned Lowrance sonar and GPS in the past. I find the Garmin equipment to be the easiest to use. I've never had any issues, to speak of with any of the Garmin or Raymarine equipment and the tech help I have used with both have been real good. Lowrance wasn't as reliable and tech help was so-so. In all cases, my history is dated so today may be a different story. I always recommend to put the catalogs down and get off the couch and go to some dealers to experience the units and their functions first hand. That's the best way to see what might suit your particular needs.

I love my Raymarine fishfinder but do not like the chart plotter portion. I love my Furuno chartplotter and radar but do not like the fish finder. That being said, my 10'' Furuno Navnet MFD is almost 13 years old and my Raymarine is utilizing their HD fish finding technology. Pretty hard to compare.

If money was no option and I was replacing my electronics I would go with Furuno. Top of the line equipment but also top of the line price. Price shopping, I would go Raymarine. They have some pretty crazy closeout sales on their E and C Wide series MFDs right now through their website. Displays only though, still have to add transducer, fishfinder module and radar.

My next option would be Garmin. I use their chartplotter on my Iphone and like it. I personally have never cared for Lowrance for some reason. I have used them on other guys boats and just don;t like them. Can not really pinpoint what it is that I don;t like though.

I have a lowrance hds and love it. About two and a half years ago lowrance was bought out by Navico. Once Navico took over they revamped a lot and got rid of the trouble makers in the cust service area. they are the same cust service reps that handle the simrad products now as navico owns them also.

My2sons, I went through the same scenario your going through now. I did go play at the stores with all the competition.I have used my buddies Lowrance stuff, I had Eagle FF and gps.

I bought a Garmin 740s from Frank/Calumet Marine(site sponsor)..flat out best deal and his son Hondam rocks as far as knowledge and sharing info that I could understand.

I was also looking for a unit to add radar down the road.

When I went through this a few years back there was nothing but horror stories about Lowrance customer service so I went with Garmin. I was very happy with performance and customer service. Dropped my plotter of the boat onto the concrete drive on monday, had a new one at my house friday. No cost. Mine are quite old and I plan on replacing one of them this year with the new 740s from Calumet Marine. I already upgraded to the Airmar transducer so it is a plug and play installation. Lowrance may have fixed their issues but Garmin never had any and I don't see any reason to change. I have used Humminbird on others boats and found them easy to use. Either them or Raymarine would be my second choice. Really it's just personal preference and what features you want. I am sure all of them can get the job done. I would recommend talking to the guys at CM, they are very helpful. I think the 740s is on sale until the end of the month.

I've been using Garmin for the last 5 years and before that Raymarine for a year, and before that was all Hummingbird stuff.

Out of the things you asked for Ease of use stuck out because there is where there is probably the biggest difference in the units. They all make big screens these days, fairly even on reliability, and decent customer service, Lowrance does lag somewhat behind on the last two but they have come a long way.

By far the easiest unit to use is going to be a touchscreen Garmin. Humminbirds are easy too and Raymarine isn't impossible to figure out but Garmin is really known for their user interface. Garmins downside used to always be their sonar, it was always just mediocre. But 2 years ago they came out with the HD-ID technology on their new GSD24 and GSD26 sounds and that has really re-established them on the top of their market. Their GSD-26 CHIRP sounder is even considered to be better the Furuno CHIRP.

Although that being said that GSD26 and a suitable transducer is $3000. Most of us a not going to spend that on a sonar. And what works best to you really comes down to first budget because if your spending $600 vs $900 vs $2500 for example I would recommend 3 totally different brands and once you have your budget it normally narrows it down to 2 or 3 specific models then your just pick the features you value most.